We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

All,

My friend and I hope to start our trip to the Balkans in Pristina (in Sept 2018), renting a car and traveling through Bosnia, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, and Macedonia, before returning to Pristina. We are finding it challenging to find a car rental company which will allow us to do this for a reasonable price. One company for example increased their price from ~20 Euro/day to ~60 Euro/day when we made the request. Any advice? I've written to all the major companies (at least those for whom I can find email contact addresses) but figured that the members of this forum might have accurate info as well. Also, were there any unexpected issues you ran into renting a car in Pristina and traveling outside of Kosovo with it? (Of note, I know that traveling into Serbia can be a challenge from Kosovo so plan to avoid it).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can share,

Anne

8 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

I hope I see replies to your question as 3 of us will be doing the same: hope to pickup car in Pristina and drive for 3 weeks thru Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia-H, Croatia, and return car in Slovenia. Sure want to avoid issues crossing borders !! Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
419 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

We recently rented from Hertz and they allowed to drive to neighboring countries with no mileage limit, but I can't remember the countries - it was Montenegro, Albania, Macendonia and maybe 1 or 2 more. We paid 80 Euro for 2 days rental, didn't take it out of the country.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

Thank you for the tip !

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
202 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

It could be very hard or impossible to find a rental company who agrees to rent a car from Kosovo with drop off in Slovenia.

They usually allow to take a car only to neighboring countries and even then you probably have to bring it back to Kosovo.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
419 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

As an option, could you rent a car & return in Kosovo. Then bus, train, etc and rent a second car for the northern parts?

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

That is an option I've considered if in fact we can't rent the whole route with one car and one way to Slovenia.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
419 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

The buses are decent in the region ... relatively on time to the schedules you can find on the internet. Many left on the minute they said they would.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans

TX, Marqual .... maybe we bus to Kotor/Dubrovnik and rent a car from there that would allow visits into Bosnia and Slovenia as well as Croatia.

Reply to: Car rental in Pristina with travel to Balkans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pristina