We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

6 posts
Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

me and the wife will be in Kotor from 7am to 5pm and I was just wondering if its possible to hike the ladder of Kotor and at the same day do the tours to see the city?

14 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

Do you mean the steps? Of course you can do that. I am not really sure if you need a tour of Kotor, the city is compact and the beauty of it is really to stroll around at your own pace. If you need information on some buildings, just go to the tourist office as they will provide you with free maps that contain some basic info

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
285 posts
2. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

Do yourself a favour and explore the city of Kotor without a guided tour. I've seen these guided tours, you'll spend most of your time in this beautiful city listening to historical names and year numbers that are not of relevance and you'll stand around in the middle of the squares most of the time in the scorching heat and sunlight.

Kotor is the perfect city to walk around on your own, it is walled so you can't get lost, there is no car traffic within the city walls, the lots of alleyways with flowers and hidden restaurants are the most inviting to take a turn where you want and not where your guide wants, and you can get a free printed city map at the tourist information booth in front of the town gate. Enjoy! It's one of the most beautiful places on earth I've ever seen.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

I agree with the above post. Kotor is easy to navigate and explore on yourself. There are so many little places/restaurants/bars that you would otherwise miss.

6 posts
4. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

thanks for the reply, I just want to make the best of my time while I am there so I am trying to squeeze as much as possible. I want to roam around Kotor and at the same time private tours but i am not sure if time is on our side. I was looking at 4 hour tours outside of kotor too.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

I honestly would skip the tours as there is really no need for it. Go to the tourist office, get a map and explore on your own. Kotor is a Unesco World Heritage Place for a reason.

And they have a cat museum,lol!

Jokes aside, you can ask any local on where to take the steps from, they will gladly offer you with directions and the beauty of old towns like Kotor are to explore them on your own while discovering new places. That city is 2500 years old, plenty to see

6 posts
6. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

how long would it take me to explore Kotor? plus the hike to mid top and to the top if ever?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,854 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

It takes as long as you want. A lot of people like to sit down for a drink and a nice meal. You can run thru it in an hour or two or just chill and take it all in

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

You can hike in one village in Gornji Stoliv, Uper Stoliv, hike is trought the forest it is really beutiful, you need by car 25min to there and hike up 45min, down 25 min :-) and back to city.

It is beautiful view and this is not popular hike rout so you will feel peace, the village up is abadnonate, really unique.

england
Destination Expert
for Montenegro
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

If you want to go for a walk and get some exercise then you might just want to walk the waterside road along the edge of the fjord towards Dobrota. It’s an extrememyl pleasant walk and very easy to time-manage. There are a couple of nice restaurants you could walk to and have a meal or drink with a fjord view.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?

Hello Alex,

We will be in Kotor, for about 8 hours, in August (a cruise stop). We are very prepared to explore the city, on our own, with some assistance from locals and/or the tourist office.

We are also considering going outside the city, with a car/driver, to see the beautiful scenery and, possibly, another small town. Would appreciate your comments, including suggestions for a car/driver and where to go. Thoughts, please. Thanks.

Lenore

Reply to: Cruise to Kotor for a day? hike and tour possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kotor
Recent Conversations