We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I stay???

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
28 reviews
Where should I stay???

So I have my flights booked to Zadar for a week on 22nd Sept. We (both fit 41yr olds) are kinda on a budget as we have other trips planned this year. I'm looking at airbnb as the cheapest options for accommodation but here's what I can't decide.

1) Do we get a car to visit plitvice and other islands or could we manage and save money on public transport?

2) Do we stay in the centre of Zadar or a nearby resort where there are still options for eating out?

Any advice guys?

15 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,592 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Where should I stay???

I would look at hiring a car and staying outside Zadar, maybe in Diklo or Biograd. It is outside the peak season and you should be able to get a reasonably priced car hire as well as accommodation.

If you don't hire a car, you will need to stay in Zadar for public transport. I suggest Kolovare area. It is close to the beach, the old town and walking distance to the main bus station.

Try booking.com. I personally prefer it to airbnb.com

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Where should I stay???

Thanks for your quick reply. In terms of scenery and restaurants which of those resorts would you recommend please? I'm seeing car hire come in at £45 for a week through travel supermarket which seems suspiciously cheap...unless it's the time of year?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3. Re: Where should I stay???

WE have friends in Kozino and Petrcane apartment prices are good,

Bus travel https:/…Zadar

Car hire keep it cheap by taking out your own excess Insurance cover.

We are driving from Chester to Split on the 28th Sept . I am Croatian my Husband is a Brit. He is emigrating I am just returning home, We live in an apartment overlooking the canal near hoole lne.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
4. Re: Where should I stay???

Kozino link click on more pics https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g19273…

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Where should I stay???

I have an Aunty who lives in Kozino and even though it is nice I wouldn't recommend it for a holiday that you plan. There are not many options for eating out and if you stay close to the sea you would have to walk through a forest to get to Diklo to access more restaurants and public transport. You would definitely need a car. One of my sisters stayed with my Aunty one holiday and said she wouldn't stay there again because of the location.

Petrcane would probably be quiet at that time of year. I'm not sure when all the restaurants close for the season but I was there at the very beginning of October one year and we only found one restaurant open for lunch. Those two location would be ideal if you did not want to visit anywhere else and just chill for the week.

Like croman I recommend Diklo or Biograd. I am not a fan of Kolovare area but it would suit your needs if you don't hire a car. Diklo would too as it is easy to catch the bus into old town and the main bus station.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Where should I stay???

>>In terms of scenery and restaurants which of those resorts would you recommend please?<<

I am biased towards Diklo so I would recommend Diklo. It has nice scenery, restaurants, a nice walk along the seafront, easy bus ride into old town for more restaurant and drink options. You can find an apartment with a nice balcony and seaview. Croman can give you an answer on behalf of Biograd.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 08:04
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,592 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: Where should I stay???

And I am biased towards Biograd and Zadarfan knows it, as does the whole forum.

Let me try to be non-biased.

As far as accommodation with views is concerned, there are many more apartments in Diklo on the waterfront and with water views than Biograd. However, Biograd is a bigger place with more choices for restaurants/cafes etc. It has a very impressive Riva (waterfront promenade) and a long paved, forested path, along the waterfront. It has a few very nice beaches and a beach pool.

Again, if you don't plan to hire a car, IMO Zadar works best, even though there are many busses between Biograd and Zadar, as well as long distance busses going in a number of directions.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Where should I stay???

>>And I am biased towards Biograd and Zadarfan knows it, as does the whole forum.<<

:) :) :) :)

Hard choice! I don't think you can go wrong with either one if you decide not to stay in Zadar.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 12:05
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Where should I stay???

I recommend you hire a car as the public transport costs tot up and the car outside your accommodation is so convenient.

Zadar itself is a great place to stay but Biograd and Diklo as recommended are also wonderful resorts.

You will not go wrong with whatever choice you make.

If it’s your first visit to Croatia I can guarantee you will fall in love with the country and its people.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: Where should I stay???

We spent a week in Croatia in early April. I recommend renting a car-- driving in Croatia is very easy and roads are good. We stayed right in Zadar, in an Airbnb just over the bridge from the old town. It was perfect for us and experiencing Zadar at night is a must.

Reply to: Where should I stay???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted