We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pula for older person with walking difficulties

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Pula for older person with walking difficulties

Next May or June I hope to take my parents to Pula to celebrate a 70th birthday. My Dad has difficulty walking distances and uses a walking stick. Is Pula a good town to stay with flat areas to walk on and on street seating where he can rest regularly?

7 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
1. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

istra.hr/en/…guide-for-disabled-traveller

If you are hiring a car and any of you have a blue badge , take it with you as disabled parking is free and plentiful..

I was born in Pula.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

Most of Pula is flat and lots of seating too. Town buses are helpful also.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 20:22
Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

Thank you... Are there good hotels near the sea and town with pools that would be suitable for someone with walking difficulties?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
4. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

https://uk.hotels.com/de619480-am1048576/in-…

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
5. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

Hm, I would definitely not call Pula "flat" as it isn't. I'd even say far from it. However, if you focus on the pedestrian zone in the centre it can indeed be callef flat. And there are plenty of bars and restaurants along the way (the pedestrian zone is huge).

However, when it comes to sitting to rest, outside of restaurants and bars, those are plenntiful at the beginning of the pedestrian zone (near the green market) but once you enter the part (circle, around a hill) where all the major landmarks are - not really. Except several benches in a small park you can enter from the pedestrian zone. Also, a part of that... historic pedestrian zone is with pavement. Your dad should be ok with just a walking stick (more of an issue for people in various chairs) but still check it out.

Here's my real-time movie from Pula so you can judge for yourself. I'll set it to start right at the beginning, near the market (the first square you see). There you will see concrete benches along the way. That's at ~46 minutes and that park is at ~50. The slightly bad pavement starts at ~55 min, just after the main square.

Btw, the pedestrian zone goes in circle around a hill and at the top of the hill there's a fort (just so you know, it would probably be too hard for your dad) and there are tunnels underneath, through that central hill. You can use those to cool down (probably 15 C cooler than on the outside) and as a shortcut to reach different parts. But do take a look at those as they are somewhat dark and some parts are again with original pavement and even wet and thus slippery. The best known landmark, The Arena, is a bit outside of that circle but still simply across a street and verly slighlty elevated so wouldn't expect a problem there.

To clarify, I'm only saying "bad pavement" in the context of people with walking difficulties. They are perfectly fine otherwise.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

Thank you so much for the detailed information.

7. Re: Pula for older person with walking difficulties

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline requiring that all messages be written in English. It is not possible for the forum staff to provide translations. Foreign language comments exclude many readers from obtaining what may be pertinent information, which defeats the purpose of an open forum.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2018, 01:30

Reply to: Pula for older person with walking difficulties
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pula
Recent Conversations