We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for days out

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Ideas for days out

We are in Dubrovnik Old Town for a week with 12 year old daughter. After doing City Walls, museums, cable car, Lokrum, Cavtat and a few evenings wandering Old Town, I'm looking for some ideas for our last couple of days. Is it worth getting the bus to the main port at Gruz? Any other suggestions to fill a few hours either daytime or evening without breaking the bank? (We're not beach fans).

12 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,507 posts
3,416 reviews
1. Re: Ideas for days out

Day trip to Kotor

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
525 reviews
2. Re: Ideas for days out

Visit to Arboretum in Trsteno

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
196 reviews
3. Re: Ideas for days out

Kotor would be a full day out rather than just either a daytime or evening visit, and is likely to cost at least 30GBP each, so depends on what budget you're working with when you say not 'breaking the bank'. All of the recommended full day excursions (Mostar, Three Island Cruise) are similar prices.

The port area at Gruz has a small open-air market but I found the area suffering somewhat from air pollution due to the heavy traffic. Why not take the public ferry from there to Kolocep which is just a 30 minute boat ride, and you can have a lovely 2 hour (or longer) getaway from the hustle and bustle. Ticket price is far cheaper than Lokrum. There's also Lopud, which is an hour by boat from Gruz.

I'm not a beach person either but I've enjoyed a couple of short visits to Mlini which has a cute little harbour and a pretty old bridge over a millstream with an ancient tree and chapel, and a nice church up a few steps. From there you can easily walk to the big shopping mall at Srebreno (about 10 minutes) where there is a H&M, big Konzum supermarket and some other stores. Bus or boat from Dubrovnik.

When I stayed in the Old Town, I got the bus to Babin Kuk and then walked back along the promenade to Lapad which was a lovely walk, at Lapad itself there is pedestrian area with ice-cream shops etc.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
64,947 posts
88 reviews
4. Re: Ideas for days out

Were you planning on going out to Lokrum? Any interest in kayaking?

5. Re: Ideas for days out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 August 2018, 13:17
Edited: 08 August 2018, 13:17

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Ideas for days out

i agree re getting the public ferry to Kolocep or even Lupod. Very cheap, think we paid around £5 each return.

I have a soft spot for Mlini, a trip there by water taxi from the old port will cost around 100 Kuna each return but a lovely ride (or you can get the public bus). Lunch or drink overlooking the sea/harbour, walk through to Srebreno for the shopping or all the way round the bay to Kupari for the hotels left derelict by the war - sounds odd I know but they are kind of awe inspiring imagining it how it used to be.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: Ideas for days out

We are staying at Srebreno and would like to visit the derelict hotels and walk the other way to Mlini. Also visit Cavtat one day and of course Dubrovnik another.

We only have 4 days, would a trip to Lokrum be the next best place to visit please ?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
525 reviews
8. Re: Ideas for days out

The derelict hotels begin from Kupari beach:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: Ideas for days out

Thanks Tarik !

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
525 reviews
10. Re: Ideas for days out

Welcome! That beach was also fine for me, though I am not a great lover of the sand beaches

Reply to: Ideas for days out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted