We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM in Dubrovnik

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
ATM in Dubrovnik

I have to pay in cash for my rental in Dubrovnik. Can I rely on getting about thousand euro in local ATM in one or two withdrawals?

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Best Seller
Viator Exclusive: 'Game of Thrones...
628 Reviews
from US$ 66.30*
Best Seller
Montenegro Full-Day Trip from...
765 Reviews
from US$ 56.46*
Best Seller
Game of Thrones Extended Tour
119 Reviews
from US$ 56.50*
9 replies to this topic
Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

Local ATMs dispense Kuna. Kuna is the legal currency, not Euros. Your host cannot demand Euros, it's illegal. Prices are often quoted in Euros because it suits the majority of visitors, but Kuna is always acceptable. Tell your host that you need to pay in Kuna and get him to confirm the price.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

thanks! but will the local ATM issue this amount in Kuna (equivalent of thousand euro)?

Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

I'm not too sure. My bank limits me to GBP 250 per day, so I have never tried for more.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

I think if you have to go above the daily limit, you will have to go with your card to some bank's branch office and do it at the counter. This is how I had to do in Italy, when I needed a larger amount than daily limit on my card.

But it is best that you inquire also in your bank beforehand.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 01:48
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
59,461 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

Check with your bank before you go to see if you can increase daily limits....how many days will you be there...we just took out the most we could every day to get up to what we needed.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

In Croatia, daily withdrawal and transaction limits are set by the issuing bank.

For me, it is 10.000 kuna per day, but 2.000 kuna per transaction, meaning I would need to use the ATM 5 times.

For you, this will inflate fees that your bank imposes per withdrawal - there is no fee on our side.

So, check with your bank about limits and fees.

In all honest, I would also bring euro cash - if your whole trip revolves around this one transaction, just imagine all the things that could go wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

Some banks I believe still issue the travelers cheques...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

Just take it with you and pay as soon as you arrive. The exchange rate in the UK was better for me in any event by around 0.5 kun a to the £, so that's a significant amount on around €1000

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM in Dubrovnik

Check with your bank. There is daily limit. I don't think you can withdraw 1000 euros a day.

Reply to: ATM in Dubrovnik
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted