We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

South Africa
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Good evening!

I am a South African that will be traveling to Croatia in a few weeks and wanted to find out about foreign exchange. Here in South Africa, I can't find Croatian Kuna at any of our foreign exchange stores - they insist I should convert to Euros and then once in Croatia, exchange the Euros to Kuna. I'm afraid with our weak rand and the current exchange rate I will lose a lot in the rand - euro - kuna exchange and wanted to find out if South African Rand is widely accepted at foreign exchange stores in Croatia?

I'm hoping to exchange Rand to Kuna at the Zagreb airport, does anybody know if I will have trouble with this?

My bank fees are way too high to simply take my card and swipe when needed, I would prefer to have some amount of local currency on me and not have to pay my exorbitant bank fees for international transactions

Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
525 reviews
1. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

You have bad luck - even this exchange company which changes many less usual currencies does not have Rand on its list:

https://exc.hr/en/money-exchange-service

Only Monetalis buys them for the numismatic value - also banknotes:

monetalis.hr/index.php/arhiva/177-zamjena-ju…

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Rand is not a convertible currency in Croatia, meaning you cannot just walk into any money changer or bank and exchange it. Same for me when I was is SA. Twice :)

Your options are either conversion into euro, where you will pay buying exchange rate twice. Or get cash out of the ATM, where you will get middle exchange rate minus your bank fees - there is no fee on our side. Now, my bank charged me 3% to take out Rand in SA, surely yours is not much worse?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,978 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Maybe there is a debit or credit card you can get in SA that doesn't charge large fees. Regular credit and debit cards charge huge fees, in Australia anyway.

You might want to post on SA forum, as many SAs that have travelled to Croatia and other parts of the world would have been in same situation as yourself.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
4. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Gold Krugerrands cost a lot of Kuna I wonder how much they sell for.

https://plemenit.hr/zlatnik-krugerrand

Edited: 05 August 2018, 03:04
South Africa
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Thank you so much to all the helpful replies. I went "bank-shopping" to see who had the best rates, and I found a decently priced one that I'll go with. It seems like I won't lose as much as with the double conversion.

Thanks again for the replies!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
508 posts
256 reviews
6. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

It's not the case that any currency can be exchanged in any od the world! :)

Just big currencies (USD, EUR, GBP) are all over the world. Exchange in one of them and bring to Croatia to change for kunas.

If you want to minimalise your lost, bring just small amount of cash and master card - it's wide accepted in Croatia, unlike Japan where I'm now...

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
7. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Hi there, I will be travelling to Crotia in September and also looking at options. What bank are you going with that worked out the best, my research shows they all more or less along a similar international bank charge.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
525 reviews
8. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Master Card or Visa - while Diners/Discovery and American Express cards lest often

South Africa
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia

Hi Sunshine, I found FNB to be the best - R60 fee to withdraw from an ATM and 2.5% of the value. And when you swipe they charge 2.5% of the value.

ABSA seemed like they had a lot of hidden costs and it seemed too complicated to check balances and stuff, but FNB online works like a charm for me and is easy to use overseas so went with them!

Hope this helps and you have a good trip!

Reply to: South African Rand to Kuna in Croatia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted