We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

LONDON
Level Contributor
66 posts
62 reviews
Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

We are just back from a fantastic trip to Split our first but not our last trip to Croatia. The weather was spot on, the food was lovely, the people to a man / woman & child friendly & genuine. Split itself has such a fantastic history, love the cobbled streets & the fact that ruins of its past can be seen inside shops, banks etc. Just be aware that the cathedral bells go off every morning at 6 am & again randomly. If you stay nearby as you we did forget having a sleep in unless you can sleep through them.

7 replies to this topic
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

Not a bad alarm clock to wake you up early to enjoy more daylight hours on holiday =)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,646 posts
523 reviews
2. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

Same like call to a prayer from mosque minarets in Sarajevo, Mostar - or Istanbul. One gets used to it...

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

I love being woken up by church bells, or a Rooster crowing. Then again, I am an early riser.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,646 posts
523 reviews
4. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

Oh then you would simply ENJOY Sarajevo. As the time for morning prayer moves in accordance with the astronomical calendar, this morning could hear the "ezan" at 04:59. And some mosques have quite powerful loudspeakers and public address amplifiers :-9

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

OP, glad you enjoyed Croatia! I understand the bell situation and sleep. Church bells throughout the night close by would drive me nuts as I am an extremely light sleeper, as much as I enjoy them during the day/evening. We once stayed at a place in Italy where they continued to ring every 15 minutes through the entire night which we found very jarring. Ever since that trip when staying somewhere in Europe we inquire about church bells as it can be an issue.

Here I love to wake up to distant church bells, donkeys braying, a cacophony of birds and roosters crowing.

Split, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
96 reviews
6. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

We have chickens living next door, took a week to get used to them, now we dont hear them at all. But the call to prayer is amazing....spent some nights in Istanbul and the cacaphony was fabulous

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)

Yes, love the calls to prayer. I heard them a couple of times on a short stop-over in Doha.

Reply to: Beware the bells in the walled town (Split)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted