We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying out of Split or Zagreb

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Flying out of Split or Zagreb

We will be staying in Split after 4 nights in Dubrovnik.

I was planning on flying back to the USA from Zagreb.

The plan was to get a driver, visit the Krka waterfall and end up in Zagreb. After doing research I realized split as a large airport which leaves the option to fly directly out of split instead of going to Zagreb. Is it worth going to Zagreb for two nights? Is Flying out of split Economical and easy option back to the states? I’m just not sure it’s going to Zagreb is worth it.

We can always visit the waterfall directly from split. Any help would be appreciated.

Best Seller
Five Island Speedboat Tour Featuring...
209 Reviews
from US$ 116.80*
Likely To Sell Out
6 Islands and Caves Small-Group Tour...
183 Reviews
from US$ 169.40*
Blue Cave and Hvar Tour - 5 Islands...
67 Reviews
from US$ 116.80*
6 replies to this topic
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
62,242 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Flying out of Split or Zagreb

Not sure about the economical part...you would have to find out that...Zagreb is a very nice place to visit and well worth two nights....maybe rent a car and hit Plitvice on the way to Zagreb also? When will you go?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Flying out of Split or Zagreb

June next year.

We decided on the Krka waterfall instead of the lakes, because I heard you can swim at the waterfall, not the lakes. And also the lakes have larger crowds. Is this correct?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Flying out of Split or Zagreb

Swimming is no longer allowed at Krka during peak season, a new thing this summer. Don't recall the dates...something tells me July through October 1 but could be wrong. I posted a link here recently.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 21:01
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,971 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Flying out of Split or Zagreb

Crowds at Plitvice Lakes are indeed greater.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,274 posts
520 reviews
5. Re: Flying out of Split or Zagreb

Simply check to which destinations there ARE flights from Split at their airport's summer timetable, then some portan for finding cheap flights (like http://www.azair.eu/ or https://www.google.com/flights/ ) to find the most economical connection, also timewise

split-airport.hr/images/Split_Airport_Summer…

Very often Irish airlines Aer Lingus with flights to/from Dublin is a very good option

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
83 reviews
6. Re: Flying out of Split or Zagreb

It's way too early to plan from which city to go back to the US, especially since you can't buy tickets that far in advance. Wait till the end of the year and see the options with one of the flights' search sites (kayak.com, skyscanner.net...). Split has mostly seasonal flights from March/April till October, which Zagreb is more of a year round airport.

Reply to: Flying out of Split or Zagreb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted