We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Safety

It’s my understanding that the social unrest has calmed down recently. Is it safer now to travel to Managua and drive around? Are people traveling to Nicaragua now? My sister and I are hoping to go and stay with a family in February or March, then possibly head down to CR for a week. Any updated information on the social unrest and general safety would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Hannover, Germany
8 posts
1 review
1. Re: Safety

I'm still here. All is safe. I was 2 days in Managua, I see no demonstrations. I took taxis from street and it was safe. Then I was in Laguna apoyo. It was very quiet. No tourists but safe. We were the only one in Vulcan masaya. In Granada are a few tourist's but not much. Now I'm in ometepe. It is also safe. The waterfall San Ramon is beautiful. The people are very friendly and peaceful. But sad that nobody comes. In 2 days we going to San Juan del sur.

Edited: 06 October 2018, 03:23
Hannover, Germany
8 posts
1 review
2. Re: Safety

In 5 days I will be back in Managua.

3. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2018, 21:00

Level Contributor
120 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Safety

Volcano boarding is happening every day. Leon has been peaceful for a while, I would think the US won’t be changing their warning any time soon.

Culiacan, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
82 reviews
5. Re: Safety

hi, thanks for answering in this post. Did you do anything worthy in Managua?? do you recommend skipping it?

1 post
6. Re: Safety

If Leon has been peaceful for a while, why is the main hostel who started volcano boarding still closed?

Could someone who's not a tour guide in Nicaragua please give a realistic picture of the current situation there.

Union City, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Safety

"Volcano boarding is happening every day."

Not entirely accurate. Well, at least that was the case in September when I went. If you are a solo traveler, it will be tough getting tours organized in Nicaragua. For volcano boarding, I even offered to pay extra (simply because it was something I really wanted to do) but they refused. Some tours operators required at least 3 people. I had put my name on a few lists while I stayed in Leon (my Airbnb host called around for me as well), but didn't get a call back while I was in Leon (I stayed for 4 days). I did eventually get one call back about 2 days AFTER I left, letting me know there was a group I can join, but I was already gone by then. Technically, volcano boarding is available everyday, if there are enough tourists for them to take that day to make it worthwhile. I did hike the Telica volcano with a local guide, he was telling me it has been weeks since the tour company he works for has taken people volcano boarding. This was early September, maybe October (or the next few months) will be better as we get closer to the dry season.

Even without doing the volcano boarding I had a good time in Leon. Felt really safe during the day while I was there. I'm not a night person, the latest I was out was probably midnight, my room was about 4-5 blocks from the center. It was eerie walking at night since it's pretty dead silent and you see the random person(s) walking by, I always kept my guard up and watched my surrounding just in case but nothing happened (of course, doesn't mean nothing will ever happen).

But, there was no on going violence that I witnessed, no roadblocks. There were demonstration in Managua. Granada, and outside of Leon, but didn't impact traffic - Ometepe was extremely quiet. There were a lot of police presence in Managua but nothing I was worried about. Nothing like my trip in Ecuador when the men were taken out of the bus and frisked for contraband

In response to the last poster:

"If Leon has been peaceful for a while, why is the main hostel who started volcano boarding still closed?"

No point in keeping a business open if there are no tourists... That's the main problem I encountered in my trip in Nicaragua. Tour operators are business - they need revenue to keep doors open. You can try finding local guides, that's what I did during my trip, all my airbnb host made the arrangements, they know the locals that need the business. The drop in tourism in the past several months has hit them harder than most realize.

2 posts
8. Re: Safety

Thank you for a very informative post comphollic. As long as they stay closed there will be no tourists. It's my understanding that people fly in just for the boarding (like myself.) Can't book if they aren't open.

I've decided to put it off till February to let things get a good cool down. Hopefully by then things will be thriving again and the local businesses are making money again.

Union City, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Safety

They are not really closed per se. There are tour operators doing volcano boarding (as well as other activities) ... It's available, just that for some of activities, you need to have a group or join a group to do it. And with the limited number of tourists, it's difficult to get a group going if you are traveling solo. I'm sure there were ways to go solo, but pretty sure it would be expensive.

Maybe in a few months there will be more tourists going where solo travelers won't encounter this problem.

Union City, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: Safety

This is really just a problem for solo travelers right now... I'm pretty certain couples and larger groups won't have any issues.

Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Managua
Recent Conversations