We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rough budget for two

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rough budget for two

Patiently waiting for later this year when we plan on travelling to Nicaragua, first time, for about two weeks. So, I know this varies from one person to the next, but what would you budget, aside from flights, for about two weeks-(Granada, Ometeppe, Leon & Las Penitas) We are fine with clean, inexpensive accomodations, and don't need to eat at fancy restaurants, in fact we prefer local establishments, with good simple food and the occasional beer or rum. Plan on a few tours (Mombacho and-or Masaya) some horseback riding, kayaking the isletas, a lot of relaxing and nature, a lot of walking and exploring. Am I in the ballpark thinking not more than two thousand (canadian)?

Edited: 27 April 2015, 06:02
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rough budget for two

Sorry, for some reason I posted the same thing twice....

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rough budget for two

I would say $30 to $40 a night for hotel for two, and $15 each for food. Transport is inexpensive - really cheap buses. And tours aren't bad. So you should have no trouble splurging a bit and still stay well under $2,000.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rough budget for two

I will say about US$2,000

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rough budget for two

For budget hotels (and sometimes really nice budget hotels) on average we paid around $15 a night for a double, we tried to stay under $20 (in Masaya we had an excellent hotel for $10 a night !). Food can be really cheap, we eat in comedors and we love street food. We take public transport (buses, minibuses, boats/ferries). Mombacho and Masaya you can easily visit on your own by bus. In Mombacho we even walked up (they have transport up but it is quite expensive). We did pay for a guide for the longer trail. In Masaya we just paid for the entrance and the transport. Volcano guides on Ometepe were cheap. We splurged (in our eyes) a few times : kayak rental isletas Granada, Cerro Negro, overnight camping trip Telica (highly recommended by the way !), a few tours at Los Guatuzos. On average we spent $75 per day for two people ($37-38 per person). So let's say $100 a day for the two of you, $1500 for two weeks, if you like budget lodging, cheap food and public transport... not a problem.

5. Re: rough budget for two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2016, 10:45