We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chicken bus schedules from leon to san juan del sur

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
chicken bus schedules from leon to san juan del sur

hellloooo

im trying to find out the local bus service from Leon to San juan del sur ? i have seen i may have to get it to Granada then onto san juan del sur?

has any one done this journey recently? hostels just try to get you to book the shuttle buses which are more pricey and they stop off at the airport pick up more people and then another stop somewhere so takes like 7 hours all together?

i think its safe enough to get on a local bus here ..?

any help would be great cheeers

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: chicken bus schedules from leon to san juan del sur

Greetings 107sylvia:

Probably the reason most visitors take a direct shuttle is the time and hassle factor of taking the public buses.

http://www.thebusschedule.com/ni/index.php has the bus schedules, and although not exactly accurate, it does give you an idea as to the frequency of the buses.

Its a good five hours journey whereas on a non-stop shuttle it would be somewhat less, more like 4 hours mas o menos. There are no direct buses, you need to change buses and stations in Managua.

To go on a public bus from Leon to SJdS you go first from Leon to Managua on an expresso (1:20) which drops you off at "La UCA" bus station. From there you'll have to taxi to Mercado Huembes to catch a bus to San Juan del Sur (20 min).

However, the buses that go via the expresso route to SJdS are infrequent. Your options are the ruteado bus (the real chicken bus) which leaves every half-hour and takes three hours. or an expresso to Rivas which takes 2 1/2 hours. Then from Rivas you would need to take another bus to SJdS (30 min).

You might want to break up the trip by stopping to overnight in Managua (best somewhere near Carretera a Masaya so you can catch the bus to SJdS), Masaya, Laguna de Apoyo or Granada, although Granada is not on the direct route between your two destinations.

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde, Managua

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: chicken bus schedules from leon to san juan del sur

GYI, We discovered in our travels that this bus schedule only shows some of the buses. There are loads more actually running.

3. Re: chicken bus schedules from leon to san juan del sur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2016, 10:47