We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation recommendations

5 posts
Transportation recommendations

My wife and I will be going to Nicaragua at the end of the month. I have gone back and forth on different options of transportation while in Nicaragua. Private driver/rent car/bus? I'd like to save money if possible, so I am thinking the bus option might be the way to go, but I have a few questions.

1) We will be arriving at 8pm, so I think we will stay in Managua that night and get on a bus in the morning. We are going to Jinotepe, which bus stop do we need to go to to get on the right bus?

2) We are going from Ometepe to Aqua Wellness Resort in Playa La Redonda. I had planned on taking a taxi from Rivas to the resort, but I am wondering if there is a bus that could get us there?

3) When leaving the resort, is the bus a possibility, or will we just need to setup a taxi or driver to pick us up and take us back into Rivas?

4) On the last day there we are planning on spending the day in Masaya going to the volcano and the market. We will end the day at our hotel in Managua. I am thinking we will get a driver that day to take us around. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been so helpful in planning our trip!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
1,074 reviews
1. Re: Transportation recommendations

I would personally get a car and a driver as in my opinion they were not that expensive while I was there.Ask your hotel or resort or lodging establishment if they have one they may.

You have limited time and you want to enjoy yourself while there and NOT be waiting for buses, looking for buses, wondering if you are at the correct bus stop or not, or simply being on a long bus ride taking your valuable time.

Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
963 posts
317 reviews
2. Re: Transportation recommendations

Spend about $ 200 and save your self a lot of time and some headache. Busses are good here but your itinerary does not lend itself really well to them.

1. Car

2. Cab

3 .Car

4.Car

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
918 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Transportation recommendations

Greetings bphawk:

To Jinotepe, most buses leave from Mercado Huembes in the center of Managua. They pass by heading south on Carretera a Masaya (highway to Masaya) where there are some nearby small inns and hotels you can stay that first night, then the next morning grab a passing bus to Jinotepe.

There aren't any buses specifically to Playa Redonda but you can take one from Rivas to the turn off for Playa Gigante (Las Salinas is the end point) and from there you can find a taxi or arrange for pickup by your hotel/lodging. Going back the best option would be to take a taxi to Rivas and then bus to Managua to your hotel, where again it would make sense to stay near Carretera a Masaya for easy access to Masaya Volcano, then to the airport the following day.

Here is the bus schedules website:

http://thebusschedule.com/EN/ni/index.php

Private message me if you have any questions or for clarification.

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde, Managua

5 posts
4. Re: Transportation recommendations

Thanks for the input. Any recommendations on a driver? I have emailed a few and the quotes seem high to me, or maybe prices have gone way up since I was last there 10 years ago.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Transportation recommendations

There is lots of people that will offer private transportation according to your needs, try ORO Travel, Va Pues Tours, Grayline Tours, Nicaragua Escapade

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
1,074 reviews
6. Re: Transportation recommendations

i know a good driver you can private message me if you like

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Transportation recommendations

We are a family of six and will be spending about 18 days in Nicaragua going all over Managua to Ometeppe and up to Leon and Jiquilillo and Matagalpa and back to Managua. I'm not interested in renting a car. Can we get by with mini busses and private taxis? How does a car and driver work when you stay in a place for three or more days? Thank you.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Transportation recommendations

You can book private shuttles/drivers. Some suggestions made above by #5. Two others that I know of but have not used : Tierra Tours and Iskra Travel. Just send them an email.

Or use public transport and/or taxis but I am not sure if taxi vans are readily available in most places (for 6 people).

Managua to Ometepe : taxi from airport to mercado Roberto Huembes. Bus to Rivas (I know you say only minibuses but regular buses are safe. Yes, they can get crowded but can be a fun experience with vendors etc...). Taxi to San Jorge. Boat/ferry to Ometepe. Or take a taxi from Managua to San Jorge.

From Ometepe to Leon : boat/ferry back to San Jorge. In San Jorge direct buses to Managua often wait for the ferries (if not a taxi to Rivas and bus to Managua from there). In Managua taxi to UCA bus station and minibus to Leon. Or taxi from San Jorge to UCA in Managua and minibus to Leon.

Leon to Jiquilillo : bus to Chinandega, change bus stations (taxi to El Mercadito bus station) and bus to Jiquilillo or taxi (or taxi all the way from Leon).

Jiquilillo to Matagalpa : I have not done this but I believe it would be a bus to Chinandega, then to Telica and then to Matagalpa. Or of course again, a taxi.

9. Re: Transportation recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2016, 09:46