We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

Hola Amigos! I will be in Nicaragua for two weeks from October 31 to November 10 on a scouting mission to look at Nic as a retirement home. I was wondering what is the best way to use a cell phone in country. Is it best to bring and use my current Verizon phone and tie an International plan to it for two weeks? Or should I just buy a phone in Managua and purchase a Pre-Pay plan for two weeks.

The only data I might need is for GPS. I am driving from Managua International Airport to San Juan Del Sur for the first few days. Then I'll head back through Granada for a day or two. And then possibly up to Leon. Lots of reports say, "don't rely on Google Maps"....I heard there is a local GPS app that is supposed to work great.

For making calls, I don't need much. A few calls back to the US and possibly to contact a real estate agent to show some property.

Thanks for all the help and I'll see you in a week.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

Buying a cellphone in Nicaragua can be as Cheap as US$15 dollars but we are talking about a Basic phone only usable to do Phone Calls and text cheap phone Calls back to the USA but a better one maybe on the US$ 70 UP if has apps or GPS etc. so make the maths and figure out which one is going to be better for you to get you verizon with international plan or Buy an expensive or Inexpensive one here. But as you will be driving to different places i Assume you will rent a car and they normally has for an extra charge a GPS

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
64 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

Thank you Byron. That is very helpful.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

Ben -

Can you comment and review on what you ended up using on your trip?

I'm looking for something similar, and I don't currently even have a smart phone.

Thanks!

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
840 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

I bought an unlocked cellphone - a $100 Acer - in Canada. I can use it there, and in Nicaragua can buy a Claro chip and pay as I go here. I don't use a data plan, relying on wifi if I need to check things online.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

Thanks!

Per: …wikia.com/wiki/Nicaragua

Is the Claro SIM card really only 12 C$?

That sounds like a good choice.

I just got an HTC One E8, and should be able to unlock it and use with one of those SIM cards.

6. Re: Suggestions for cell phone for two weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2016, 10:46