We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in San Juan del Sur...

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
one day in San Juan del Sur...

We will be there for the day off the cruise ship. Any recommendations of things to do? Any local tour that is good? Thanks very much...

Doug

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

You want to either do a combination of Granada & Las Isletas or a Masaya Tour

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

Both tours that Rodolfo are recomended are really good and getting away from the crowd is always better to explore the area.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

Thanks.... also, is there anything to do near the cruise ship docking area?

Norfolk Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

The tenders will drop you off at the south end of town, I would spend the day in SJDS. Walk north towards Jesus there are 4 or 5 great in expensive restaurants right on the beach. Go to Pelican eyes and sit poolside and have a drink and a snack and finish with a drink at Henry's Iguana.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

At the moment when the cruise arrive you will find many tuk tuk or taxy bikes that can give you a ride to the image of jesus (or at least at the bottom of the hill not that hard once you are at the bottom) at the higest point of town nice view of the whole town, there is also a canopy tour there (zip Lining) vianica.com/attraction/65/canopy-tour-da-fly…

or 0050588506082.

Some local bars or restaurants infront of the beach in wich you can have local meals and nice drinks.

Or taxys that can take you to the closes town Rivas nice little town with a couple of colonial building nice main square and a colonial time home that is use as a museum now a day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

What days of the week are the cruise ships in sjds?

Would rather avoid those days cause of crowds. I remember in cabo san lucas prices in town went up on cruise ship days

Thanks

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

find dates

cruisecal.com/portal/…Default.aspx

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
117 reviews
8. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

Thanks

Altadena, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

Is there any shopping in walking distance from the dock? (my wife wants to know!).

Also, any opinions on the ship excursion (Princess) to Granada/Las Isletas vs. the local tour operator Nica-Adventures who have basically the same itinerary, slightly less cost. I'm thinking the local tour co would have less people and possible more personal attention... any opinions?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
169 reviews
10. Re: one day in San Juan del Sur...

The entire town is pretty small - maybe 4x5 blocks total so just about everything is within walking distance. I'm not sure what you mean by shopping - there are a few people that sell t-shirts and stuff on the road along the beach. Masaya is where the big handcraft market is located - about 90 min driving from SJDS