We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for Nicaragua trip November

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Planning for Nicaragua trip November

I'll be taking the Tica bus from San Salvador and get off at Leon. Would anybody know where the bus stops at Leon? If it is not close to town centre, how much would a taxi cost? I have to select where to get off when buying a ticket online, and it shows Leon (Bahia del Sol). I googled Bahia del Sol, but could not find anything related to Nicaragua with that name.

The turtle tours in Isla Juan Venado, are they still in operation? I tried emailing hotel Barca de Oro, but received a failure notice for my message. Neither does the contact us form on their website work.

I came across this article https:/… , I think it says something about foreign visitors should fill in a form and send it to some official email address in advance before entering Nicaragua to facilitate entry (here is the form https://www.migob.gob.ni/migracion/tramites/solicitud-de-ingreso-ordenado-y-seguro-de-visitantes-invitados-por-motivos-diferentes-al-turismo/). The form has an English version but I'm totally clueless as to how to complete it. Has anybody had any experience in this? The thing is, I haven't come across any threads on this.

From Granada I plan to go to Monteverde Costa Rica. I have done my homework and know that I should get off at La Irma and take a bus from there. I checked Tica bus, the turistica bus leaves at 0600 and arrives at 1600, another leaves at 1200 and arrives at 2200. I'm not too sure about the arrival time, is it showing the arrival time at La Irma or at San Jose? If it shows the arrival time at La Irma, I won't be able to take the bus to Monteverde which leaves from La Irma at 3pm. Another option is to DIY from Granada to Rivas, then bus to border and then to La Irma. But I'm not sure if it is safe to do so under the current situation, especially because I have to start early in Granada. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input.

4 replies to this topic
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Planning for Nicaragua trip November

when coming from el Salvador you will stop completely outside of Leon that means that at least will be US$2 dollars to get to the center maybe US$3 if further.

The Barca de Oro info@barcadeoro.com is still operating they got some emails problems but still running email them or whatsapp them +505 8928 1546

About the form yes it is true but when you are coming with this big buses line does not apply so do not worry about it.

about going to Monteverde if taking the 06:00 you will be at la Irma around 11:00 or 12:00 and around 03:00 at San jose so will give you enough time to stop there and take the local bus up, just remember to let the driver know where you getting of so he can put your luggage on the right place, if you are going with the public buses will take a bit more of time.

Enjoy Nicaragua

http://byronortega.wixsite.com/tour-leader

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
2. Re: Planning for Nicaragua trip November

Thanks Byron for your reply. Would there be taxis at the get off point Bahia del Sol? Would the taxis accept payment in USD? If not, coming from San Salvador by Tica Bus, where can I change some cordobas?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Planning for Nicaragua trip November

Of course there will be taxis there and of course they accept US$ better for small denominations and they have to be cleans with no tears or nicks.

About changing into cordobas you do not really need as everyone accepts dollars just with the same condition i already told you but if you still need to change some US$ notes into Cordobas at the border you can do it,right now 10/14/2018 id one US$dollars for C$32.00 cordobas.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

http://byronortega.wixsite.com/tour-leader

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
4. Re: Planning for Nicaragua trip November

Thanks a lot Byron

Reply to: Planning for Nicaragua trip November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted