We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
136 reviews
Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

The last time Copa Airlines posted anything about allowing fee free cancellation of tickets to Managua, Nicaragua was on May 24, 2018 and only for flights in June. Has anyone had any luck changing their tickets for July and August at no fee? Seems unbelievable that nothing more has been said or decisions have been made about future travel.

I also did read somewhere but can no longer find it that if your government's travel advisory is to reconsider travel this voids your travel insurance. I know I can follow this up with my travel insurance but does anyone have any knowledge about this?

I am praying that circumstances are resolved soon with no more bloodshed but am not that hopeful it will happen by July/August

Edited: 21 June 2018, 09:20
14 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
168 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

I have a flight in August and I called yesterday to ask this question. They will be announcing in the coming days their policy for flights in July. They are attempting to wait and cross their fingers hoping things will get better in Nicaragua so that they will be minimally impacted. But they will more than likely announce that July flights will be subject to the same free cancellation/change policy that was extended to June flights.

*Note, as you did, that the policy for June flights was announced on May 24th. Similarly we can expect the policy for July flights to be released on or around June 24th.

For August, the woman I spoke with, who was quite helpful, said that there is a possibility they will include those flights in the same policy announcement in the coming days, because they are getting so many calls about it. She did note that the possibility remains that August flight policies may not be announced until the end of July. They do reserve that right.

Hope that helps.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
136 reviews
2. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Thanks so much Derek - that is really helpful information. Like Copa I too am hopeful things will be turned around by early August but at this stage it seems unlikely

Regards

Suzi

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
338 reviews
3. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Yah I am watching Aeromexico. Seems their policy is either keep for a year or change flight. It is hard when your flight is in January! They are up to end of July now

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Your travel insurance coverage likely depends on when you bought the policy. Mine covers me if a Government “avoid non-essential travel or avoid all travel” warning is issued after I bought the policy & no warning beyond “exercise caution” was in place at the time of purchase. They would deny a claim if I choose to travel anyway & something happened.

Ft. Collins, CO
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

We payedcthe penalty fee and went to Costa Rica May 24-June 11, at that time they weren't offering free changes. When I got back I called Copa and they told me to contact our travel insurance company. I am currently in process of working with them. We will see. I'm out $1500, but feeling safe in the decision we made.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
136 reviews
6. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Hi Glacier

We definitely bought our insurance and flights before the USA and Australian governments changed their warning to “avoid non-essential travel so it looks like we will be covered - I am still hoping on hope that we still get to go

Regards

Suzi

3 posts
7. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

I think some airlines are just taking advantage of the situation. I have bad experience with aeromexico with my trip to Nicaragua.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
136 reviews
8. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Copa have now waived the fee for changing travel in July to Managua. The message says May 28 but if you scroll down it gives information about July. https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/important-…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Hi,

I Just spoke to someone at Copa about changing flights at the start of August. At this stage they won't offer any refund or change of destination. Was told to wait until the end of July which is rather late to make a decision.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee

Hi,

I Just spoke to someone at Copa about changing flights at the start of August. At this stage they won't offer any refund or change of destination. Was told to wait until the end of July which is rather late to make a decision.

Reply to: Anyone had any luck with Copa changing destination at no fee
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted