We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM withdrawal fees

veraz
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
ATM withdrawal fees

Hello,

We will be spending 2 weeks in Ukraine. I was planning on bringing some amount of cash, but in general I didn't want to walk around with a bunch of money and instead was hoping to take money out of ATM machines when needed or pay with credit cards. Are ATM machines common/easily accissible in cities like Kiev, Dnepropetrovsk and Yalta? Do they take a percentage when you take money out or is it free of charge? Do most restaurants/stores accept credit cards as payment?

Thanks for your help!

Vera

veraz
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Just saw the information I was looking for in the FAQ section. Posted too soon ...

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
307 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Hi Veraz: We traveled to Ukraine last year and toured in Western Ukraine and Kyiv. My debit card would not work on any ATM's with the matching PLUS symbol in Kyiv, Lviv, Chernvitsi, Yarmeche etc., but my travelling companion had no problems. No one else on this forum has reported a problem so I don't know if my circumstance was an isolated situation or not. I still have my bank looking into it. I too didn't want to carry a bunch of cash on me, but I resorted to taking cash advances off my credit card (same bank) which worked just fine. They ended up reversing the cash withdrawl fees.

We also found that credit cards aren't as widely accepted in Ukraine as in North America. We had to pay cash at a couple of restaurants in Lviv and Kyiv and also at our small motel in Chernvitsi.

Have a great trip. Lee Anne

veraz
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Thanks LeeAnne! This is good feedback and we'll plan accordingly.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,671 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Hi Vera! Welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Just to summarise what you should have probably found by now.

ATMs are easily accessible these days in all the three cities you mentioned. Your bank will most probably raise a fee for conversion when you withdraw hryvnya in Ukraine. Most of ATMs have withdrawal limits set at about UAH 3,000-3,500 (depending on a bank).

Large stores and posh restaurants will accept credit cards. Smaller shops and cafes as well as souvenir sellers won’t. You can rely on cards more in Kyiv and Dnepr than in Yalta; better get cash for the latter. There are card signs on the doors of those establishments that accept cards; otherwise you can expect an ATM to (most probably) be somewhere nearby.

AmEx is almost non-acceptable in Ukraine; Visa and Mastercard are equally acceptable (although couple of years ago some travellers mentioned they had problems with MC in Yalta, but I still doubt it was the payment system problem).

It is always recommended to advise your issuing bank that you are going to Ukraine to avoid possible freeze of card transactions.

Have a great stay! :)

Edited: 04 May 2011, 23:18
veraz
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Thanks Cora! AMEX is not the most popular here in the US either, so I am not surprised. We'll make sure to have Visa/MC on us.

Dubai
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

I have the same problem of not being able to use ATMs in Ukraine. I was fortunate enough to find a helpful taxi driver to locate a bank that was open on the weekend to preform a cash advance. The card worked just fine in shops and restaurants. Next time I will make sure not to put all my eggs in one basket, financially speaking. :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,671 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Hi Jess and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

This is kinda weird situation that you were able to pay with your card but weren't able to withdraw cash from the ATMs. What was the problem, please, if you don't mind me asking?

Could it possibly be because the amount of cash you wanted to withdraw exceeded the single transaction limit set for the ATM you used?

Such limits differ from a bank to a bank and make from 1,500 to 3,500 UAH per transaction.

Edited: 15 October 2011, 22:11
London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

How many ATMs did you try? When I went there, about one in every four ATMs didn't work for me. I'm not sure whether they were broken or whether it was the policy of the bank to reject withdrawals from foreign accounts. I certainly wasn't attempting to withdraw large sums.

It wasn't a big problem; any time one didn't work, I'd just walk to another one that did. If you were especially unlucky though, you could have had a run of several that didn't work and assumed they were all that way.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
127 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

I spent 2.5 months in Ukraine last year so I experienced many different types of banking machines. I used a debit card affiliated with the PLUS Network across Ukraine. I didn't bring a card for the Cirrus network. If your bank card uses the PLUS Network, you may want to read my observations in this thread:

tripadvisor.ca/…29929528

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM withdrawal fees

Last year used a Visa Debit (Plus and Star) card in Lviv and Kyiv without any issues. That card charged a currency conversion fee so this year I had a Visa Debit card another bank. No problems with 2 ATM withdrawals in Lviv but 5 days later, 4 consecutive ATMS attached to banks in Ternopil wouldn't work. Called my bank the next day and they said there wasn't any problem on their end and that my account hadn't been frozen. I did call them before I left the US and told them how long I would be Ukraine. Next day used the card in Ternopil and later that week in Odessa without any problems.

Different ATMS will charge different fees. Some the equivalent of $3USD and one charged me $5USD. Another never charged a fee. I always took 3,000 UAH.

This year, I didn't tell one of my credit cards that I was traveling, thinking that last year I used the card in Germany, Ukraine and 4 other countries due multiple trips. They froze my card the first time I tried to use it in a duty free store in Munich enroute to Lviv.. Had to call them next day to unfreeze the card. This bank now is much more aggressive in freezing accts whenever suspicious activity occurs. I like that because they did stop a fraudulent transaction 18 months ago and issued me a new card number after I confirmed the fraud attempt.

I always travel with 2 credit cards and at least one debit card (plus AMEX on business trips) and in the future will call each bank before every trip to make sure they don't freeze the card.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 17:30