We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ukraine River Cruise

Pittsburgh...
5 posts
Save Topic
Ukraine River Cruise

I am interested in taking a river cruise in Ukraine, however, I have heard that the barges are not up to the standards of the other European barge cruises. Can anyone shed some light on this? Additonally, since I have never been to Ukraine any general information will be helpful. Some of the ports are Kiev, Odessa, Yalta and Sevastopol. Thanks for any info.

Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

Yellowrose please post again when you return from your May cruise. We are booked on a Viking cruise Odessa-Crimea-Kiev in September 2008 and looking for information about this region. Like you we are there for the sights and the culture, expecting good tours and clean accommodation.

I guess we may pass some of the September travellers mid river.

Any advice on transport from airport to ship and vice versa would be appreciated. Viking transfer costs are worse than any taxi tout I have ever encountered.

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

We enjoyed the cruise very much and the weather in May was perfect. The Value World Tours boat was very basic, but comfortable with surprisingly good storage space. The food was good, much better than expected. Drinks on the boat were expensive so although we always had wine for dinner, we bought wine and vodka and water at the small convenience stores (MTM) in the towns. The best vodka I've ever had was USD5.00. The beer tents on shore were also very cheap. Our transfers were included so I can't help you there. There were only 27 English speaking on the boat and all our meals, tours were together. 21 of them were in a SmarTours tour, the other 6 of us booked directly with the cruise operator, but we all did the same thing, and bonded well due to the small number of us. Our air was better. We had two program managers just for us, so we were very well cared for. We thought it was a good value. Kiev and Odessa were wonderful, but there was not much to see or do in the small towns along the way and we found that we enjoyed sitting in an open air cafe/bar to people watch. The most interesting was Sevastopol which until 1997 was a closed city. From there we toured the Lavadia Palace which was the summer home of the last Czar and site of the Yalta Conference. As we went south from Kiev the weather became warmer. The country is not yet tourist-ready so shopping is not great, if that is your interest. Just small souvenir type things, like the lacquer boxes and Maruska dolls. The best shopping was on our boat. They brought in new things each day from the ports. But over all, it was an interesting experience and we had a great time. Several optional tours were offerred, but we did not do any of them, except the opera which was very good. The street to the museum in Kiev was closed for parades when we were there due to it being National Guides day. Let me know how you like it. You can mail me direct ad JoyceDinD@aol.com

Fairborn,Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

We are scheduled for a river boat cruise leaving Kiev, Ukraine in late August. The boat we have been assigned is the MS Shevchenko. Is anyone familiar with this boat? Any information you can give would be most appreciated. We do know it isn't a luxury boat.

Many thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

Wondering if you took your trip on the Shevchenko? We are considering going this summer and as others, are having trouble finding much about the ship. Would appreciate any feedback.

Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

I have posted a review of our Dnipro River cruise with Viking, which spent as much time cruising the Black Sea as the Dnipro River, on Cruise Critic website (www.cruise critic.com): go to Boards, Special Interest Cruising, River and Canal Cruises. My review is titled "Russia and Ukraine river Cruises, October 2008" and is currently on page 6 of the board. URL: www.cruise critic.com go to Boards, then Special Interest Cruising, River and Canal Cruises. Scroll down to page 6 or thereabouts or log in and use the Search facility.

Otherwise email me hjdks@hotmail.com for a copy of my post, but you will miss the other cruisers' responses.

I believe Uniworld are doing a similar Ukraine cruise in 2009.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

Thank you so much for the referal to your Cruise Critic review - you obviously took a lot of time to present an objective view. Although the ships you were on are different than we are looking at, it does provide us with reasonable expectations for travel in this area.

We will be sure to pack ear plugs and extra hand sanitizer!

We are considering an overnight stay in Kiev. We sense that there will be more to see than possible in the limited time/tours from the ship.

17. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2009, 17:50
18. Re: Ukraine River Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 10:57