We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closure of Chernobyl zone?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
89 reviews
103 helpful votes
closure of Chernobyl zone?
Save

I would like to book a private tour of Chernobyl on June 4. The reason I chose that date is because that is the first day of the spay/neuter clinic by Clean Futures Fund. I am a huge fan of their work and would like to meet the founder. My entire trip to Europe is based on seeing Chernobyl, so I CANNOT miss it! I leave Ukraine on June 5 (I have a flight to catch).

I have read that there have been time when people's tour has been cancelled because the zone was closed. Does that happen often? Is this too risky to book on our last day there?

Kyiv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: closure of Chernobyl zone?
Save

They don't close the zone too often. However you need to book with a recognized tour agency beforehand so they obtain you a permit to enter. Also I would recommend you not to book on the last day of your trip but earlier just in case of change of plans.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
89 reviews
103 helpful votes
2. Re: closure of Chernobyl zone?
Save

Thank you! We booked a private tour with solo east. If there was a closure on June 2,would they even be able to get a permit for us to try for June 3 or 4? If not, I guess it’s a risk either way.

Kyiv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: closure of Chernobyl zone?
Save

i think the tour company would know and would inform you in advance. keep in touch with them.

Sweden
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: closure of Chernobyl zone?
Save

When I was there a couple of weeks ago Pripyat (but not the rest of the zone) was closed off because of National Guard training, the training was completely unannounced and our tour leader got to know of it when entering the zone. We visited some other places in the zone, like the cooling tower. Eventually, they were finished with the training and we could enter Pripyat. He said its the first time ever that there was an unannounced shutdown.

5. Re: closure of Chernobyl zone?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?