We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest vs Bucharest

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest vs Bucharest

Now, these 2 places always got confusing at school when we did geography... many years later and I have the same problem. Apart from the obvious Hungary vs Romania, for people that have been to both of these towns... are they both enjoyable long weekend destinations or dooes one stand out more than the other? I dont travel to tick off 'must see' boxes but travel to experience a destination for what it is and take it easy. Prefer renting a bike, sitting in a beer garden, eating local food in outlets that dont have gruesome close up photos of dishes on it, checking out the thermal pools, meandering around old lanes looking for photo opportunities, etc etc. Would be travelling in May-ish. All input appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

Even if I am Romanian, I would highly and objectively recommend Budapest first, in Hungary. It is indeed what they all say: a wonderful and attractive destination for tourism. I visited it in August. It has wonderful scapes and a lot of history separated by the old Danube river. The 2 cities Buda and Pesta give you different choices. Peta is more buildings (e.g. the Palace of Parliament, Andrasy Ut., etc) and Buda is more nature and caves and two impressive castles and a statue. These are just extremely basic, what you will find there is much, much more. The food is very good (the traditional goulash everywhere) and quite cheap. However, avoid taking offers from beautiful girls callong you to the restaurants they advertise, since they are rip-offs. ;)

From the airport it is easy to go to the Centre, by bus and subway.

As for Bucharest, on the other hand it is like an Eastern Europe New York with perfume of Paris... as it was called the Little Paris in the past.

So, my advice is spend a weekend in Budapest, and then when you have time, come to Romania and spend more time, including Bucharest for a while.

BUCHAREST
Level Contributor
106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

Yes, Budapest it's nicer touristic destination than Bucharest, i must admit it...

All depends on your budget, if you look for cheap long weekend you can think about Bucharest..You will have good food and beer for good prices in Bucharest (and yes, as a german, you will enjoy it)..some strolls in the green parks of Bucharest (Cismigiu or Herastrau Park, i suggest), walks on the city centre including the Parliament Building as the main attraction and better night life..(depends on your taste, of course)...

For the views and touristic taste, yes go to Budapest, for cheaper experience weekend, come to Bucharest!

Anyway, every city has its charm, depends on your mood also...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

As neamtzu stated,it depends on your mood. In the leauge of sights,old buildings,beauty of the city,Budapest is your choice. But Budapest are evolving into the new Praha,loads of tourists (like you and I).

In Bucuresti you can walk around for at least an hour without meeting a person from Germany,England or Sweden.

And regarding the language barrier and safety issue (mostly an issue for folks from the U.S.A). I trained around in Romania with my poor English and even worse German and I had a really good trip.

Still aliwe and well.

Edited: 19 December 2009, 06:15
Ploiesti
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

I must confirm the posts above although i'm a Romanian. Budapest is the city for you if you enjoy landscapes, nature and city landmarks whilst Bucharest is the busy crowded always-in-a-hurry metropolis with insane nightlife and gorgeous girls :)

For sightseeing and photography Budapest is your choice.

Have a nice trip and hope you visit Romania as well (for the right reasons)

Edited: 07 January 2010, 20:19
Atlanta
Level Contributor
126 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

I am American and don't have a pony in this race, however, I prefer Romania over Budapest. Bucharest is not exactly tourist friendly, although there are plenty to see and do. We spent 8 days in Romania and 4 in Budapest and Romania is the place we would like to return to see more of it. We really enjoyed Sibiu, Brasov and Sighesora, all wonderfully preserved historic towns with lots to do and see. Budapest is nice and interesting, however, we liked the people in Romania more and had better time. We felt that the Hungarians were unfriendly and unappreciative of their guest, mostly concerned with taking your money without even a smile or a thank you.

Edited: 08 January 2010, 02:51
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

I actually spent about 3 weeks traveling around Eastern/Central Europe in December and Romania (Bucharest + Brasov) and Budapest were two of my stops along the way.

I will say that while I thought Romania was beautiful (Brasov, and the area in general), Bucharest did absolutely nothing for me. If you have to choose from Budapest and Bucharest (not Romania overall), I would go with Budapest in a heart beat for the lovely old buildings and streets. However, if you are open to heading to the other parts of Romania (like Sibiu, Brasov, etc), I would say definitely Romania over Budapest because it has much fewer tourists and is just a nice (low key) and very beautiful destination! And I have to say that the people in Romania are super nice and all speak English (or a Romance language of some sort, so getting around is fairly easy).

Coconut Creek...
Level Contributor
209 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

I enjoyed both Budapest and Bucharest very much.I enjoy art museums and historic sites.For somebody who enjoys thermal baths,I feel Budapest is a better pick than Bucharest.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

Hello,

My wife and I are American. We read your reply to someone else about the safety of Americans (U.S.A.) and are curious as to what dangers Americans face that others nationalities do not face and why?

We are considering a summer vacation in either Romania, Cyprus or Barcelona Spain and would appreciate any input and suggestions that you could provide.

Respectfully,

Odis in Texas

Atlanta
Level Contributor
126 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

I don't know much about Cypress or Barcelona, but as far as Romania or Hungary are concerned there are no additional dangers you should worry about. We traveled all over Eastern, Central and Western Europe and we felt very safe. If you have a George W T-shirt, you might wanna leave it home if you don't enjoy seeing the middle finger extended in your direction from time to time. Have fun!

BUCHAREST
Level Contributor
106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budapest vs Bucharest

Even if it's not in the initial thread line, i will try to answer to you as well....

It's nothing to worry about your safety in Bucharest or Romania, just take the normal safety measure you do take wherever you travel, and should be fine!

Just to add a bit of fun, you will be nowhere safer than in Romania, as politicians decided to install parts of the US missile shield in Romania in the near future..:))

wall-street.ro/articol/English-Version/79679…