We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

I would appreciate input on a very preliminary trip plan for the first week in April 2018, family of 4 (boys are 11 and 18) We are initially flying into London, then will take a flight to Zadar, arriving late evening (not counted in the days below)

Day 1- Zadar (note this is Easter day)

Day 2- Zadar

Day 3- Plitvice National Park

Day 4- Pula

Day 5- Rovinj

Day 6- travel to Venice

Day 7- Venice

Day 8- flight back to London

1. Any suggestions to make this itinerary better in your opinion? We want a balance of cities and nature, seeing multiple cities/sites without rushing it too much. Ideally, we'd like to have a home base for several nights at a time, rather than moving every day.

2. I'm guessing a car rental is the most efficient way to get around Croatia, especially since we'd like to see Plitvice. Best to pick up car at airport before going into Zadar, or when we're planning on leaving Zadar? Where would you suggest we try to drop it off before heading to Venice?

thank you!

20 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,625 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

IMO you are trying to do too much in such a short time. With this itinerary, you cannot have several nights in any location as Zadar, Plitvice and Pula are not even in the same area.

However, if that is all the time you have and want to fit all this in, this is what I suggest to make most of your short time.

Hire a car on arrival in Zadar and drop it off in Rijeka, I think. The problem you have is that ferries from Pula to Venice don't run that time of year as far as I know. I could be wrong and be happy to be corrected if I am.

Stay in Zadar for 3 nights. Visit Krka NP on day 2. You could also visit Sibenik on the way back from Krka NP to Zadar.

After 3 nights, drive to Plitvice. You can do route C and continue to Istria for the night, or you can stay in Plitvice that night. Route C takes 4-5 hours. It took me 4 hours, but I am not the one to linger.

If you continue to Istria the same day, drive to Rovinj. Base yourself there for 3 nights. Istria needs at least 3 nights IMO. 4 would be better. You can easily explore Istria from Rovinj.

Drive to Rijeka, return the car and catch a bus to Venice, or bus to Trieste and train form there to Venice.

You could return the car in Rovinj, but you would need to find public transport from their to Venice.

I assume that Venice is a must. If not, I suggest you spend all your time in Croatia. You could then visit Split and fly home from Pula.

Edited: 11 December 2017, 04:13
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

Thanks for your comments. You are suggesting 3 nights in both Zadar and Rovinj. If you had to pick between the 2, which one would you spend 3 and which would you spend 2 in?

Adding Split to the trip adds a bit of backtracking--- but you think it's worth it? Our flight will go to Zadar-- so we were planning on just going north from there. Or are you thinking it's just a day trip from Zadar?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,625 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

2 nights is enough in Zadar if you don't want to do any day trips from there and if you are are not returning there from Plitvice.

Yes, adding Split would mean backtracking. However, Split is only 1.5 hours by car from Zadar. I was just trying to suggest something that would be simpler for you, if Venice is not a must. I think that in April, you will spend a bit of time in transit between Rovinj and Venice.

You could do a day trip to Trogir and Split from Zadar, but then you would have to stay in Zadar for minimum 3 nights and that is without visiting Krka NP

I do think that missing Krka NP and Sibenik would be a shame when in the area and with your stated interests.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

thanks for your help! You have got us thinking about simplifying. Venice can go and we can focus on Croatia. We're able to fly out of Pula and although it's more expensive, we don't have the transit costs we'd have to Venice.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,625 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

Just before we proceed with more suggestions, can you please tell me if Venice is definitely out or you are just thinking about dropping it.

Also, how much time exactly can you send in Croatia?

Is the flight to Zadar already booked or would you be to fly somewhere else and out of Pula? I am thinking that you could fly into Dubrovnik or Split, depending on how much time you have and your interest in those places.

Most people want to see Dubrovnik. Is that something that you would be nee to see too?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

I’ve looked into affordable flight options and they are limited. It only works for us to fly into Kadar. Would love to see the south, but it’s not possible for this trip. We can fly out of either Pula or Venice. Days are limited to those listed in original post.

The suggestion to drop Venice is a good one and will give us more time to better explore the Istrea region, so we are seriously considering it.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,625 posts
170 reviews
7. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

Ok, you have 8 nights. This is what I suggest if you drop Venice.

Option 1

2 nights Zadar.

2 nights Split. On the day you drive from Zadar to Split, visit Krka NP, Sibenik and Primosten. Visit Trogir on the day you drive from Split to Plitvice.

1 night Plitvice.

3 nights Rovinj.

Option 2.

4 nights Zadar. Do a day trip to Krka NP and Sibenik on one of the days. Do another day trip to Split and Trogir.

1 night in Plitvice

3 nights Rovinj.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
520 reviews
8. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

Venezia Lines say they are offering fast ship (catamaran) transfers from ports in istria to venice beginning with April, but schedule for 2018 is not available yet. You may try to contact them with an inquiry

http://venezialines.com/

S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

Great suggestions from croman. Either one of those options would be fantastic!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice

This is great! I will contact them to find out if April ferry is possible.

Reply to: Spring break in Croatia/ Venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted