We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day bulgarian itinerary

Ras Al Khaimah...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
10 day bulgarian itinerary

Hi we are 4 adults with three kids aged 3 5 and 6.from june 28 to july 9th.

Please suggest what to add or change during our 10daystay.

We are planning to hire a opel zafira 7seater car from TOP Rent a car in sofia for our entire trip.

Day 1 drive to veliko tarnovo and stay

Day 2 stay in popovo

Day 3 ruse visit nd sightseeing

Day 4 stay in varna

Day 5 stay in sunny beach

Day 6 stay in nessebar

Day 7 stay in sozopol

Day 8 stay in plovdiv

Day 9 stay in rila monastery area

Day 10 sofia exploring

Checked the things to do sections in each places.

But we will be really thankful if anyone could suggest the best places because we are with the kids.

Is it good to bring strollers for kids ?

Is it safe to be out after sunset in the village areas ?

Is there any need to bring jackets for kids to use at the night time ?

Are there clinics or hospitals everywhere in the mentioned places ?

Looking forward a great and happy vacation ...please suggest and help ...

4 replies to this topic
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day bulgarian itinerary

Hello, Rayhaan

Looks like an ambitious itinerary. Not impossible, just fast-paced. Personally, I'd suggest spending 2 days in Sofia and 2 in Plovdiv, maybe take out Sunny Beach, it's not very kid friendly in my opinion.

Spending hours in the car will be strenuous enough for your children, don't even mention hours upon hours of walking and exploring. Although I do understand your desire to maximize your trip and see as many locations as possible, I don't think the little ones will be able to handle it. Even if they do, they'll be extremely miserable about the whole ordeal.

My advice - take more time in Sofia and Plovdiv, enjoy your time at the beach and take it slow for the sake of the kids :)

It gets colder during the evenings and I see that you're coming from a warm country, so yes - please bring some jackets for yourself and the kids.

Villages as well as cities are very safe at all times. You'll find hospitals in most towns.

Bringing strollers is entirely up to you. The way I see it - they'll make it much easier for you to transport the little rascals during your day trips.

Hope you have a wonderful time and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Paul

Edited: 05 June 2017, 15:06
sofia
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day bulgarian itinerary

You cannot do this itinerary, simple as that. Bulgaria isnt a small country, much bigger than it looks on most maps, the same size as England. I suggest 2 days in Sofia, then 1 day in Plovdiv, from Plovdiv drive to Veliko Tarnovo and spend 1 night and the next half day there in the area. From Tarnovo drive to Varna and spend the rest of the days at the coastline and use to last day to return to Sofia. Spend 2 days in Varna or Golden sands, then the rest of the days in Nessebar, Sozopol, Sunny Beach or any other resort you prefer. From Sofia to Varna its around 5-6-7 hours depending on the way you drive and how many stops you take on the road, so lets say roughly that one day is needed to go back to Sofia from the coastline if you depart from Varna. Sofia - Burgas takes 3-4 hours.

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day bulgarian itinerary

Hi there,

As others here suggested this is quite ambitious and tiring trip. In my opinion Tarnovo is best – a small walkable town with nice restaurants and places to see and shop. It is only 3 hrs drive from Sofia (once you figure out how to get out of this busy city). I will definitely skip Popovo. Ruse is a nice city too, but for a 10 days trip may be too much. If you do want to go to Black Sea skip staying in Varna and spend more time on the beach. However, it is totally up to you. Do you want to spend time on the beach or just see the country? If you want to see the country then here are our top stops: Sofia, V. Turnovo, Plovdiv, Rila monastery. We love the mountain. Necebar and Sozopol are worth seeing too.

It is safe everywhere in Bulgaria but again if you want to actually see and absorb something, chose a few places and leave the rest for another time.

Enjoy your trip

Sunny Beach...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day bulgarian itinerary

Mind that you will not have space for even a minimum amount of luggage, not to mention room for baby strollers etc. The third row of seats in Opel Zafira is folded in the luggage compartment. The latter can otherwise be used if only the first two rows of seats are operational.

Edited: 07 June 2017, 00:57
Reply to: 10 day bulgarian itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sofia