We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in sofia

Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in sofia

I have booked a trip to sofia arriving early hours of sunday and leaving thursday night, i feel 5 days is more than enough to take in the main sights in sofia and was considering day trips away. What are peoples thoughts on this

10 replies to this topic
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in sofia

Hey, Adam

You're absolutely right, 5 days are way more than necessary. I reckon 2 days for Sofia are enough. Then you can do day a day trip to Rila monastery and spend 2 days in Plovdiv for instance.

Have you researched any specific locations that excite you the most?

Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in sofia

Thanks, going by tripadvisor it all interests me. Im thinking on the sunday do a free walking tour to get my bearings, monday just have a look around on my own, have booked a day trip to rila monestary for the tuesday, then maybe another day trip wednesday or have the day to hike vitosha and visit boyana waterfall and stuff round that area. Then thursday again just a relaxed day before my flight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
75 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in sofia

I agree with the recommendation above to add the Rila Monastery and Plovdiv. If you mean this coming Sunday, then you can also perhaps catch the Rose Festival if this type of experience interests you: http://bit.ly/2phb0P5

Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in sofia

I go the end of june. Ill take a look at plovdiv tours then.

Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in sofia

Plan is 1st day do free walking tour, 2nd day have booked a tour to rila monestary, tuesday to plovdiv (not sure whether to book tour or just go by self). Wednesday am thinking a day at vitosha mountain (not in the best shape tho so not sure if best idea) then last day pottering round vefore flight.

Any thoughts or suggestions

Edited: 27 May 2017, 01:00
Ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in sofia

This is pretty much word for word the exact same question I was going to ask. :-) We are going to Sofia for 5 days in August and we're wondering if we should take a few trips out of the city. I'll just read your replies and follow the advice. :-)

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in sofia

I will not recommend hiking in August as it will be very hot. Day trip are fine and fun. If the lifts on the Vitosha are working, going up for the view and a walk might be fine too.

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in sofia

Boyana waterfall is in a fold of the mountain northern slope and is one of the coldest places around Sofia in the summer. The path is steep, be prepared with good hiking shoes.

Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in sofia

I think ill leave vitosha, any other suggestions for day trips other than plovdiv and a rila monestary which ive booked

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in sofia

You can do Panagiurishte and Koprivshtitza in one day, or 7 Lakes in Rila. There is an interesting cave called Ledenika near to town of Vratza and the nature is beautifull there, but it seems like a waste of time to spend a whole day just for a cave.

Reply to: 5 days in sofia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sofia