We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofia safe for Arabs?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Sofia safe for Arabs?

Hello,

I want to ask if Sofia is safe for Arabs, specially Muslims, I'm a muslim lady wearing scarf and planning to travel to Sofia soon for couple of days for tourism, would that cause any issues concerning the recent issues in Europe?

Thanks

Joanna

365 Association Sofia Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Bohemian Sofia Tour
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sofia Graffiti Tour
City Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Private Guide Bulgaria Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
5 replies to this topic
sofia
Level Contributor
432 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofia safe for Arabs?

Not at all. Women are always respected in Bulgaria and treated equally doesnt matter if they're transsexual, muslim, chinese or whatever. If you were a Muslim man with no moustache and only beard and wore traditional clothes then it would be a problem yeah. Also keep in mind that burqa, khador and nihab are strictly illegal in Bulgaria. You can only cover your hair and better do it with a colourful hijab.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofia safe for Arabs?

Thanks a lot

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofia safe for Arabs?

My response, based on my personal opinion, is that while Bulgaria is generally safe, as a muslim woman you should exercise normal caution. It is not impossible to experience a certain attitude - from stares to perhaps even comments.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofia safe for Arabs?

If you are just wearing a scarf...you'll be absolutely fine. Full face covering and full robe are banned throughout Bulgaria.

You'll be accepted and most importantly respected by everyone.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sofia safe for Arabs?

Reply to: Sofia safe for Arabs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sofia