We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Mostar to Split

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Driving from Mostar to Split

We are spending a night in Mostar later this mointh and then driving on to Split. Can anyone recommend a good route?

Simon and Penny, Cornwall.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Mostar to Split

We went to Stolac and the Hutovo Blato National Park, then on the scenic coastal route along the Dalmatian coast. A fabulous side trip is along the Peljesac Peninsula where you can visit the tiny famous Dignac wine growing region.

Have a look at the Croatia/Bosnia/Slovenia chapter from my e-book "White Van Acting Suspiciously":

travelmagpie.com/the-book/extract-from-white…

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
62,243 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Mostar to Split

I think the best way is to the coast via Metkovic and then drive up the coastal highway to Split. Last summer we took an inland route to the Croatian city of Vrgorac and up and over the mountains but I think the easiest way is straight to the coast and up the coast. I also don't know the status of the following site. From what I understand this was between Vrgorac and Makarska but don't know for sure and don't know if it has been removed.

jutarnji.hr/kamena-gromada-od-vise-tona-zabl…

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Mostar to Split

I've done this several times, the easiest way is as Barry says above.

Once at the coast you can drive straight up to coast on the Adriatic Highway to Makarska and on to Split, or at Makarska you can get on the new super-fast motorway. If you have more time you can drive via the Peljesac peninsula and get the ferry across from Trpanj to Ploce.

There are also inland routes, but bear in mind that there is a reason why these routes are not used as main routes! Some of those little white roads you see on the map are truly terrifying!

4. Re: Driving from Mostar to Split

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 19:45