We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Montenegro to Greece via Vlor and Saranda

Podgorica...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Montenegro to Greece via Vlor and Saranda

Hello,

My husband and I are planning on driving from Montenegro down to Greece. We were informed that there is a new road via Vlore and a new border crossing has been made near Sarande, and that this is a much nicer option than the road through Gjirokaster.

Could anyone confirm this and maybe give some instructions/recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Montenegro to Greece via Vlor and Saranda

Yes that is right, you can do that. I was in Vlore 2 years ago and they have built a new motorway from north to Tirana, and then from Fier to Vlore. We were thinking of riding to Greece but our plans fell apart when my bike broke down. But there is a crossing via Konispol. Satellite navigation dont work there so best is to ask locals. There is two ways as well to get from Vlore to Saranda, if you want the scenic route (which I suggest) best to go via the seaside. If you follow signs to Himare then you are on the right road. you can get lost then.

Tirana
Level Contributor
226 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Montenegro to Greece via Vlor and Saranda

The road from Tuzi to the border has been reconstructed and is quite nice. Once across the border, the road from Hani Hotit to Shkoder is still under construction in a few places. It's much better than before, but still has a few unpaved sections. From Shkoder to Durres, the roads are a combination of 4-lane highway and two-lanes with lots of traffic. Be very careful, particularly if you come during the tourist season: July thru August.

From Durres south to Fier, the road is all four lane divided highway, except for a small section south of Durres that is under construction. From Fier to Levan is still the old road but after Levan it turns to new divided highway into Vlora. South of Vlora the road is new two-lane road through some of the most beautiful countryside in Albania. Twisty roads and steep drop-offs make for exciting driving, but it's worth it! Be careful coming down the pass at Qafe Vishas right before Himara. It has been rebuilt, but is incredibly steep at the bottom and there have been several accidents there. The latest was a bus that went of the road and killed 12 students.

After Saranda, you have to make a choice. You can head inland to Gjirokaster and cross in to Greece at Kakavije which is the largest land border crossing point between the two countries. This route would allow you to stop at Syri Kalter (The Blue Eye) spring and at Gjirokaster which is a UNESCO world heritage site.

Alternately you can continue south from Saranda along the coast to Butrint, take the small cable-drawn ferry across the Vivari Channel and continue on to Konispol and the crossing point at Qafe Bote. The road is new two-lane. The ferry is a unique experience. Holds about 4 cars as it crosses the 50-meter wide channel. Qafe Bota is a small border post that will be much less busy than Kakavije.

Good luck!

3. Re: Driving from Montenegro to Greece via Vlor and Saranda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 14:47
Get answers to your questions about Tirana