We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

Perth, Australia
9 posts
what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

Hi guys im flying into Tirana on the 25th of September for 4 days before heading to Montenegro and im looking for suggestions for things to do, so far this is the list ive come up with:

The Albanian Alps which look amazing but i have no idea how i would get there, or where i would stay since i dont have camping gear with me.

The Butrint ruins which look interesting but at the complete other end of the country to the Alps, so if i did this the Alps are not going to happen.

Gjirokastra Castle look picturesque but again im not sure how i would get there.

Any suggestions on what i should do and how i would get there would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
1. Re: what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

If you only have 4 days i wouldnt go south all the way,

Day one, Berat (or stay in Tirana, you can visit Kruja or visit bunk art 1 and do the dajti expres)

Day 2 Berat (or Tirana)to shkoder

Day 3 Shkodër, Koman, (ferry) Valbone There are hotels there

Day 4, Valbone back to Shkodër

Day 5 Shkodër- Montenegro

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
97 reviews
2. Re: what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

Berat, Korça, Tirana, Shkodra

galicia
Level Contributor
149 posts
147 reviews
3. Re: what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

I have just come back from a 10 day trip in Albania, which was my second visit. We had planned to spend 2 nights in Tirana but ended up staying an extra night as we were enjoying it so much. It is a fab city. Obviously it depends on your interests, but we didnt have time to visit everything we wanted to. An account of my visit to Tirana is here.

…blogspot.com/2018/08/2018-albania-revisted-…

I would do a google search and see if you can find someone to show you around for a tip.

I would agree that Berat is a good option. It is a marvellous city and easy to get to via bus.

Albania is a lovely country and the people are very friendly.

Tirana, Albania
11 posts
4. Re: what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

4 days in Albania beside the beach

There are plenty of options. You can visit the northern mountains, where the villages of Theth and Valbona are two of the most well-known natural sites of Albania. The boat trip to Valbona through Komani Lake is without a doubt one of the best experiences you can have. The nature, the food and the traditional vibe you’ll find there, are worth your visit. For more about the northern alps of Albania you can read the article: https:/…

You can have also an UNESCO tour, since the cities of Berat, Gjirokastra, and the National Park of Butrint are all part of the UNESCO World Heritage list. While Berat and Gjirokastra are famous for their ottoman architecture, Butrint is known for its ancient and medieval ruins, located on the top of a hill. For more about this tour you read the article: https:/….

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
5. Re: what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach

Something to make known to others, Gjrikoastra and Berat are '' Ottoman towns'' in the sense that were enlraged during Ottoman period and were centers of Albanian Muslim nobility , especially Gjiroklastra while Berat was more trade focused.

However the architecture of the cities, which are both in UNESCO is local architecture also called '' adriatic architecture'' built by local albanian nobles.

Ottoman empire just absorbed local architectures whenever it expanded.

As for what to do in Albanian in 5 days besides going to the beach, you have endless options, Tirana, Berat, Gjirokaster, Korca, Kruja small town near Tirana, Koman lake, Albanian Alps etc etc

Reply to: what to do with 4 days in Albania that isn't the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albania