We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkeling

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
202 reviews
Best Snorkeling

Planning our return trip. We have stayed at the Hilton Moorea, Kia Ora and Vahine Island in the past. Both the Kia Ora and Vahine Island are very special but neither had great on site snorkeling. We couple some days at a resort with a Paul Gauguin cruise. We will do this cruise again staying at the Hilton again. We would like a second resort for post cruise. Two requirements. Superb snorkeling from the resort without having to take a boat or kayak and the room must be air conditioned. We would prefer not to stay on Bora Bora although I know there is some superb snorkeling at a few resorts.

Any suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Jonen,Switzerland
Level Contributor
451 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Best Snorkeling

Second best Snorkeling without using a boat tour beside Moorea Hilton, is the Coral Garden at Sofiel Privat Island in Bora Bora. The coral garden is at the other end of the Motu where this resort is. Twice we have booked the OWB, but I found just a few coral heads around them so we preferred the coral garden. But from our OWB it was closer to walk to the jetty or sandy beach and swimm up,from there. Because each time we went in Nov. The balcony was very windy and we hardly used it, so the next two times we booked the bungalow next to the spa, from where you can walk in the water and swimm up to the coral garden. There is as well a,walk, but it was to much work for me to climb over rocks. I’m better with swimming. We prefers to go early morning and later afternoon so not day tourists where there. We like the fact the hotel offers free boat transfer to main island to go out for dinner. It’s a bit dated but it was very ok for us. Same with next destination. HUahine La Mahana. We have there the beach bungalow directly at the beach. Around the jetty it has nice Snorkeling as well we found anemone with the clown fish. It’s more 3 star and öfter you have some dirt in the bungalow from the little,animals when they eat the palm roof, they clean it every day but it’s something you have to live with. Some bungalows are new. We had the older one, but liked the setting. When we went the water was not so clear like the two other places, but it’s less,expensive and we liked it as well. Chef is improving and each time it was better. Breakfast is small. But dinner is nice we booked Halfboard there. We return now the 4 time next Nov. Huahine is a nice island too more quite than the two others. Twice we booted Tikehau Pearl in the Tuamotus. There we went for the OWB suite, end of bot. This,is,really nice with a huge balcony. First time we loved it. Saw several,Sharks and at night even a manta from balcony. But then we just start to snorkel. Next time we found the area to snorkel much smaller but the view was nit good second time. Maybe an other stream. It has as well an other area to snorkel at the owb, but not all of them have direct access seems to be very shallow there. Food was top and flop. Management is a bit different to the other places we have been in FP. Some days we could not,walk where we want, they had a film crew. Then two days several hours no water and other days no electricity. Every time the fridge did not work. The bungalow was very nice. Breakfast is smaller then Sofitel. Often things run out and no replace. They take it more easy there I think. But if,you are unhappy,talk to the chef maybe they try to please you. They did for us a wonderful dinner after we not happy and let them know. So just talk and let’s hope it’s no need for.

Then some might can tell you more about Le Tahaa, where I understand it’s a bit shallow but nice Snorkeling. in Moorea of course you can snorkel as well nice at Sofitel of pensions around the public beach. We have stayed in a OWB at Sofitel to check out, but will return to the Hilton. Nice you plan your next holiday.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Best Snorkeling

I second the coral garden at Bora Bora Sofitel PI. Loved it, snorkeled multiple times a days and could swim around the whole island. Was amazing and going back in early Nov. Easy entry from the beaches there or your OWB

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
648 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Best Snorkeling

I agree with the suggestion of Bora Bora Sofitel Private Island. Another excellent option is Le Taha'a Island Resort where you are right on the Taha'a motu with the amazing drift snorkel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
202 reviews
4. Re: Best Snorkeling

Thanks. From the Paul Gauguin we visited La Mahana about 2 weeks ago. Nice place but did not love the snorkeling. A reasonable quantity of species and we did see an eel. Was looking to avoid Bora Bora if possible.

Jonen,Switzerland
Level Contributor
451 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Best Snorkeling

Maybe have a look at Tetamanu village. This was recommended to me from a FB friend whomwas there and at Ramiti (there you need a boat too, same as Niamu from what I understand. But all this 3 have no AC. This is the reason I have not try jet.

Reply to: Best Snorkeling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted