We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Suggestions and Flight Timing Questions

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Island Suggestions and Flight Timing Questions

Hi forum members! Have a few questions hoping you can help me out with.

I bought tickets on Air France via LAX to go to Tahiti for the first time next May 10-24 (2019). We're definately doing a week in Moorea, but not sure which Tahiti flight pass to buy for other islands for the other week of our trip. We are avid snorkelers, but don't do any diving. We were looking at a lagoon pass to drift snorkel for 3 nights each in Rangiroa and Tikehau or doing the Bora Bora Pass and do 2 nights in Maupiti to hopefully see Mantas and then 4 nights in Bora Bora.

So question 1 is which Tahiti Air multi island pass do you recommend for us for the best snorkeling?

Question 2: If we land on May 10th at 5:20am, should we be able to make the 6:30 am flight to Maupiti that morning out of Papeete? Not sure if the Air France flight is usually on time and how long immigration and all that typically takes. Thinking we'd have enough time if a small airport like many places in the South Pacific but wanted some frequent visitors' opinion.

Question 3: If everyone recommends the lagoon pass, for some reason it won't let you book it with Moorea on the itinerary yourself. I emailed Air Tahiti 6 days ago and haven't heard back. Maybe I'm too far out on my dates? Or is it a known thing that they take longer than the 72 hours to respond to inquiries?

Any help and advice is appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Moorea
Moorea
Rangiroa
Rangiroa
Tuamotu Archipelago, French Polynesia
Tikehau
Tikehau
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Maupiti Island
Maupiti Island
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
3 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Suggestions and Flight Timing Questions

Question 2-No you can not safely make the flight. The last time we went Air France we were an hour late and spent another hour in line at customs and luggage

If you are truly spending a whole week of your two weeks in Moorea personally I would only choose one other island and you most likely you need to spend the last night Papeete to catch the morning AF flight out. I would choose Bora Bora. If you want to visit 3 islands I would shorten the Moorea portion. Excellent snorkeling at Moorea Hilton and in Bora Bora Lagoon. At Sofitel Private Island you can go to a huge coral garden everyday that is on one end of the island. Nice snorkeling in Rangoria too.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Bora Bora Lagoon Resort & Spa
Bora Bora Lagoon Resort...
35 Reviews
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Sofitel Bora Bora Private Island
Sofitel Bora Bora...
953 Reviews
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Suggestions and Flight Timing Questions

Rangiroa has great snorkeling but not from the beach, you need a boat. If you want to snorkel frequently this may not be the best, at least that was what we experienced at the Kia Ora.

Mentioned in this post
Rangiroa
Rangiroa
Hotel Kia Ora Resort & Spa
Hotel Kia Ora Resort...
1,034 Reviews
Rangiroa, French Polynesia
3. Re: Island Suggestions and Flight Timing Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2018, 19:10

Reply to: Island Suggestions and Flight Timing Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted