We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy fresh milk on the islands?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Can I buy fresh milk on the islands?

Hi

Seems like a stupid question to post but my daughter has only just turned one and still has 3 milk drinks per day. She will take cows milk instead of formula with no problem but I'm not sure of the availability of fresh milk and haven't tried her on UHT.

Would it be a better bet to just take a tin of formula?

We will be at Plantation for 5 days and the Shangri La for 3 after that.

Thanks for your help

Like most mums of small kids I am trying to plan things down to the littlest detail!

Lucy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I buy fresh milk on the islands?

Hi Lucy

We went to the Shangri La when my youngest was one and was drinking bucket loads of milk. I took half a suitcase full of the Dairy Farmers UHT Milk. I'm not sure if you have the same ones in Perth or not but it comes in the white plastic bottles and not the usual tetra packs that most UHT milk comes in. The taste is the same as normal milk and it worked perfectly for us. I cant remember for sure but I think the little shop at Shangri La sells milk but it is also UHT and quite expensive. I do remember being very happy with my decision to take a cow in my suitcase (so to speak) and I declared it all to Fiji customs and they waved me straight through. The bottles are very sturdy and well sealed so I had no problem with leakage and one opened we stored them in the little fridge in our room. You don't need much clothing so it is easy to fill your suitcases up with stuff you know the little one will need, peace of mind too. Formula is easy too but i would only mix it with bottled water.

Enjoy your holiday - both places are great and we are heading back to Shangri La again in September.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I buy fresh milk on the islands?

Thanks Redrob

I will have a look out for the Dairy Farmers milk.

Knew I would get some sound advice from someone!

L

Lake MacQuarie
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I buy fresh milk on the islands?

Lucy

There is a shop at Musket Cove (down the other end from Plantation)about a 20min walk they sell milk, plus I think there is a shop at plantation.

cheers Janine

4. Re: Can I buy fresh milk on the islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 05:48