We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of heading to Merida

Dublin
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of heading to Merida

Hi, I am planning on being in Venezuela in mid March. After completing a GAP tour coming in from Brazil, I was thinking of heading off by myself for a week or two. Merida seems to be jumping out at me.

But a few questions:

Has anyone been there?

Any suggestions on tours to do?

What would be the high lights of Western Venezuela?

What is the transport system like and as a single female travelling alone, is it safe?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Treacle

GER
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of heading to Merida

Hi, Merida is a great and beautiful city. I recommend you to go to the information office in downtown. If the "Teleferico" "cable car" is open just go to the top of Bolivar's summit, it's the longest and highest in the world, at least until few years ago.The major high lights are in the countryside, in the mountains. "Los Aleros " , "Mucuchies", "Apartadero", "Pico el Agila". I don't know if you can find a tour around there or buy a map rent a car and do it yourself. As a lady traveling yourself is not a problem but be careful, don't trust in everybody but in average in this region the people are very respectful.

I wish you a good trip in Venezuela and good luck.

Venezuela
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of heading to Merida

Hi Treacle,

As my colleague said, Merida is the right choice for you if you like adventure. In fact, we have the largest and highest cable car in the world, called "Teleferico de Merida".

For transportation, i strongly suggest to take an airplane from Caracas (Maiquetia Airport to Merida city). Once there, if you have enough money, rent a car, buy a map and do it for yourself. It's awesome what you can find there. You will see a lot of peaks, lakes, snow (not often in Venezuela, just there), good meals, go and visit "Heladeria Coromoto" (to try some ice cream) which is in the Guinnes World Record book, go to "Venezuela de antier". There you can find a very summary of our entire regions and culture. It's a kind of tour where you can spend more than 5 hours and see shows, taste different meals, see different people. If you like stars, then you can go to "El Observatorio". While going up through the cable car you will see all Merida region. At the top of the mountain (if there is a quite good weather) you can see at the end of the view some plains from a nearest region called Barinas. At the other side, you could see Colombian Mountains.

People in this place is the most educated in Venezuela. They are very nice people but obviously you could always find some thieves. Don't carry any golden jewel and too much cash with you, specially at Maiquetia airport. Instead of it, try to use your credit card only in ATM's. I think that you can have a great time in Merida with US$ 200-250, depending on the time you will spend there (excluding hotel and rental car).

Hope you enjoy our country and specially this beatiful region, called Merida.

Take care of yourself

Julio