We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water, bus, money exchange

Decatur, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
Drinking water, bus, money exchange

Hello,

First time trip to the city, solo female traveler, lots of questions :). Can you please tell me if the water is safe for brushing teeth, showering etc? Also, a cab from the airport is $40. I plan to take the bus assuming it is safe. Do you know where I could get cash for the bus? Are ATMs in the airport recommended? Do local restaurants take cards? I prefer not to have cash if possible. Lastly, is there wifi in the airport? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

5 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
35,934 posts
29 reviews
139 helpful votes
1. Re: Drinking water, bus, money exchange

The water is safe for showering and brushing your teeth—and also for drinking, but most people prefer bottled water.

The bus from the airport is safe. I’ve taken it several times. No problem.

There are exchanges at the airport, but you would get a better rate at Cambios in the downtown area.

Most restaurants take credit cards.

There is free wifi at the Carrasco International Airport.

Decatur, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
2. Re: Drinking water, bus, money exchange

Thank you so much! Do you happen to have any affordable restaurants you'd recommend? I'm staying downtown.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
35,934 posts
29 reviews
139 helpful votes
3. Re: Drinking water, bus, money exchange

If you’re looking for a nice place to have lunch, try the Oro del Rhin Confiteria in downtown (Centro) Montevideo.

The Oro, which has been around since the 1930's, is housed in a beautiful Art Deco building located on the corner of Colonia and Convención streets. The ambiance is reminiscent of the pastry and coffee houses of pre-war Europe.

The sandwiches and pastries are absolutely delicious.

http://bit.ly/2sO1vUj

Chile
Level Contributor
636 posts
4. Re: Drinking water, bus, money exchange

There is ATM in the airport too, and was fee-free at least for me. Almost everywhere you can pay with card, except the buses are cash only.

Sweden
Level Contributor
531 posts
78 reviews
60 helpful votes
5. Re: Drinking water, bus, money exchange

A cab is only $40? Depends on where you're going in Montevideo. I paid $50 in 2017 to Pocitos. Water is safe. A bus will take you to the Terminal Tres Cruces.

Reply to: Drinking water, bus, money exchange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted