We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

We are looking at a cruise which docks at Lima (Callao) on Sunday December 15th, 2013 @ 07:00 am and departs Pisco (San Martin) on Tuesday December 17th @ 5:00 pm.

Is it possible to get to Machu Picchu and if so, what tour companies are recommended.

thank you

Ray and Ann

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
565 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

Hi rlk,

May I suggest you look into Cruise Critic? You might find fellow cruiser on the same cruise as you that are planning such a tour and are looking to share tour with others.

Good Luck!

2. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 07:05
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

Machu Picchu is 500 miles from Pisco. It is 600 miles from Lima.

Is it possible? Yes, I suppose. Is it a good idea? Not in my opinion.

You could get to Cusco and then Aguas Calientes on the Sunday. Visit Machu Picchu on Monday. Back to Cusco that night, and get an early flight back Tuesday morning.

You would have to drive from Lima to Pisco on the Tuesday, a minimum 3 hour drive. What if there are delays or incidents along the route? There are only two flights a day via LC Peru and neither would work with your schedule, coming back from Cusco. What if your flight back from Cusco on the Tuesday morning is delayed or canceled due to fog or weather? Not uncommon. Our flight from Lima to Cusco was canceled so we got there an hour later than anticipated.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

If your cruise offers a visit to Machu Picchu as an option, it would be better to go with that, even if it's more expensive. It's my understanding that if you book something the cruiseship offers, they won't leave without you in case there are delays in getting back. If it's something you booked outside the cruise, the ship would probably leave without you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,334 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

I agree with the above post. To get to MP from Lima, it's a flight to Cusco, then a taxi and train to MP. Then the reverse on the way back. If you have a delayed flight or train and miss a connection, you'll get stuck in Cusco and either miss MP completely or won't make it back to the ship in time.

Avon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

Yes, it's a tight schedule but perfectly doable. Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy Machu Picchu!

Take into consideration that you may need an hour or so to disembark in Callao, and then it will be another hour for your transfer to the airport; so my suggestion would be booking your flight to Cusco around noon.

Upon arrival in Cusco, don't waste any time and plan to be transferred to the Sacred Valley, which will give you enough time for a nice lunch and a visit to the Ollantaytambo Fortress.

You may want to consider either spending the night at the Sacred Valley or board the train to Aguas Calientes early in the evening and spend the night there. Aguas Calientes is also known today as Machu Picchu Town.

Spending the night in Aguas Calientes means that you will be among the first visitors entering Machu Picchu (avoiding the crowds) and will be able to enjoy a guided visit, eat lunch at the top of the mountain, continue exploring the citadel on your own, and at the end of the afternoon you'll be ready to board the train back to Cusco, where you'll spend the night.

On the 17th, you will be more than happy of what you just accomplished on your short 2-day visit, so the flight back to Lima and your transfer to Pisco will be literally a piece of cake!

Try to get expert assistance for your arrangements; to be flawless and totally hassle-free, the logistics of your trip have to be planned in advance. My family and I have used Ecoamerica Tours in two different occasions with fantastic results.

Good luck and have fun!

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
23 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

Thanks very much for the information.

8. Re: Machu Picchu - from cruise ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 09:50