We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

Oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

Hello,

We arrive next Sunday morning. Our hotel quoted us $90 USD to pick us up at the airport and stop at Pisac ruins and market on our way to the hotel stating this is considered a full day tour. Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price? This will be our first day so we plan on taking it slow and are bringing diamox. I really want to see the market on Sunday and figured while we are there we should see the ruins; if it's too much physically we can always leave.

Thank you very much for your guidance; it's greatly appreciated!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

It isn't out of line with what other hotels would charge and with your luggage it's probably better than hiring a taxi. However you might instead stop at the Chinchero market and save Pisac for when you stay in Cusco. Ask what they charge for an hour stop in Chinchero. It should be $60 ish if not counteroffer and look for some of the drivers mentioned here.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

This is sooo subjective! I would definitely plan to do the Sunday Pisac market over Chinchero. Normally, the taxi fare from Cusco to Ollataytambo will cost $30 - $40...so if stopping at Pisac on the way is worth $50 is dependent on your wants and desires.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

Why do you prefer the Pisac market over Chinchero, aquablue? I've been only to the Sunday Pisac but have heard the Chinchero is less touristy. Even on an off day I made some nice purchases at Chinchero.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

Hello mlgb.

"I really want to see the (Pisac) market on Sunday". These are the words from the OP. I'v e noticed in some of your posts that you tend to dissuade posters from their original inquiry. My belief is that all travel choices are subjective. There really is no right or wrong way to do things, except obviously when making transportation and attraction purchases. Everyone has their own unique travel experiences.

The OP would most likely enjoy both Pisac and Chinchero markets. Pisac is definitely the larger of the two, and with the adrenalin rush that occurs when first arriving to Cusco; (remember that feeling? :-) a visit to the Pisac market and ruins may be the added stimulation that sets the tone for the remainder of their trip...IMHO!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

"I've noticed in some of your posts that you tend to dissuade posters from their original inquiry."

If I think there is a better alternative either in terms of economy, altitude adjustment or efficiency of travel I will continue to offer it as an option. I don't have any financial or other interest in their final decision. I have always though that more information or options are better than less.

Since the OP was asking about price I suggested Chinchero since it is on the route to Ollantaytambo and many people think Pisac is too touristy (I liked it just fine but for my next visit I will be making a point to visit Chinchero on Sunday).

Sometimes following a guidebook or travel agent's choice just gets you food poisoning.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 22:07
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

Perhaps you should request to become a Destination Expert for Peru. You seem to have all the answers :-)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

Since I'm about to depart for Peru again for three weeks travel, assuming my ticket hasn't been irreversibly screwed up by LAN, I'll probably have even more

"answers" than I do now.

I prefer to call them "opinions based on actual experience as a fellow tourist". Isn't that what TA is for? I am not one of those who thinks only DEs are permitted to respond, and I certainly have seen bad or biased advice from many DEs on TA, * not just for Peru.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 07:25
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

90 US$ is ok if the transportation is one Private minivan - h-1 hiunday but if is one taxi is very expensive and dangerous ...... no safe . ask for one travel company that provide this service.....

Recommend;

Qeros Tours Peru , Cultural Immersion , Auqui , Americana

Edited: 02 May 2012, 08:48
9. Re: Transfer to Ollantaytambo - Tour Pisac

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:11