We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccine

3 posts
Save Topic
Yellow fever vaccine

hello , it is necessary to have the yellow fever vaccine if I'm not going to places where there is risk of contagious , I plan to go to Peru in August and I read that at that time it is winter in Peru, so there is less risk of contagion on those dates?

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
5 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

Only if you go to places where it’s a risk. If you go to parts of Peru where it’s not a risk then why would you need the vaccine for it?

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

because I was reading and they say that in some parts it is recommendable, I will go to Machu Pichu, Sacred Valley and Aguascalientes, do you know if in those places you need the vaccine ?

Mentioned in this post
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,102 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

According to the cdc website you do not need it there, only if you go to the jungle. Best bet really is to have your doc recommend a travel clinic and check there. But if those are the only places you go you shouldn’t need it.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 17:18
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

Some countries require you to have the vax if you enter after visiting a country with YF. Where are you going after Peru?

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

If you are not going to the rainforest, you will not need it in Peru. But if you are going to another country i would take a look to see if you need it there. the CDC website is a good bet.

There are mosquitoes in Machu Picchu, etc. However, your normal bug spray will cover it. I know deet is bad for the environment, but personally I'd rather be safe than sorry and just be aware of how you are using it (don't just spray a whole bunch unnecessarily). Though, long sleeves will also protect you so you may not even need that much bug spray.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Reply to: Yellow fever vaccine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted