We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccine

3 posts
Yellow fever vaccine

hello , it is necessary to have the yellow fever vaccine if I'm not going to places where there is risk of contagious , I plan to go to Peru in August and I read that at that time it is winter in Peru, so there is less risk of contagion on those dates?

5 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

Only if you go to places where it’s a risk. If you go to parts of Peru where it’s not a risk then why would you need the vaccine for it?

3 posts
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

because I was reading and they say that in some parts it is recommendable, I will go to Machu Pichu, Sacred Valley and Aguascalientes, do you know if in those places you need the vaccine ?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

According to the cdc website you do not need it there, only if you go to the jungle. Best bet really is to have your doc recommend a travel clinic and check there. But if those are the only places you go you shouldn’t need it.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 17:18
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,264 posts
101 reviews
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

Some countries require you to have the vax if you enter after visiting a country with YF. Where are you going after Peru?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
167 reviews
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccine

If you are not going to the rainforest, you will not need it in Peru. But if you are going to another country i would take a look to see if you need it there. the CDC website is a good bet.

There are mosquitoes in Machu Picchu, etc. However, your normal bug spray will cover it. I know deet is bad for the environment, but personally I'd rather be safe than sorry and just be aware of how you are using it (don't just spray a whole bunch unnecessarily). Though, long sleeves will also protect you so you may not even need that much bug spray.

Reply to: Yellow fever vaccine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted