We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindblad Islander vs Lindblad Endeavor

Boston
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lindblad Islander vs Lindblad Endeavor

I'm dreaming of a trip of a lifetime and am stumbling over the first decision. I think I would like to spring for the highly regarded Lindblad/National Geographic tour but cannot figure out whether there is any reason to think that the smaller ship is better for this trip. Smaller is more expensive but I figure that should not be the deciding factor on this type of trip. The Islander has bigger windows, is a catamran versus an Expedition ship (what does that mean to the passenger???) and actually I think the smaller ship has slightly smaller cabins.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindblad Islander vs Lindblad Endeavor

A catamaran would tend to be more stable than a single-hulled boat in waves that are abeam (coming at the side of the boat). On our itinerary (the 16-passenger Tip Top II), the open-seas passages were the most prone to choppy waters--to/from Genovesa to the north and to/from Española to the south. We were in the islands in Sept. (the month of the liveliest seas), and my husband (a long-time sailor) noted that most of the wave action was indeed abeam, so a catamaran would likely have been more stable. However, if the wave action were from ahead, the catamaran could be less stable, since a single-hulled boat would cut through those waves a bit more, while the catamaran would ride to the top of the waves and drop down. In general, if motion sickness is a concern, a catamaran might be a better choice--although I personally think everyone should bring some kind of motion sickness remedy. You just never know and why take a chance on ruining an amazing adventure?

Smaller and larger boats both have advantages and disadvantages; having been on a small boat, I highly recommend that intimate, personal experience. But everyone has his/her own priorities. Do the 2 boats have the same itineraries? In addition to the features of the boat, it's important to consider where each lands. If you post the itineraries here (if they are indeed different), folks on the forum would likely have some good advice about the pros and cons of each.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindblad Islander vs Lindblad Endeavor

Thanks for your response. Your comments about the stability of the two different style ships might be about the only difference. I suppose more people to travel with can be a plus/minus thing depending if you like everyone or are hoping to escape some loudmouth for example.

The trips have identical itineraries and the same staff to guest ratio. In fact there are supposed to be more options for tour groups or else more guides to split the group into subgroups on the larger ship so that you are not walking around with a larger crowd. The quality of the guides is really what has made me consider this high end tour company.

My tentative plan in to travel in early December.

3. Re: Lindblad Islander vs Lindblad Endeavor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 09:47