We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What shoes are best for Galapogas Island cruises?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What shoes are best for Galapogas Island cruises?

Can anyone help?

We are booked to go on a cruise on the Seaman 11 in September and are trying to decide what footwear would be best. We will have some walking shoes for the island hikes and some water shoes for wet landings and beach walking.I need to know do you wear water shoes for the wet landings or bare feet? Do you then quickly dry off and put your walking shoes on for the hikes?

Thank you for any advice.

Lijelije

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What shoes are best for Galapogas Island cruises?

Dear Lijelije,

I've seen all kinds of answers to this question in the past. Naturalist guides, who do this for a living, are often spotted wearing good waterproof "TEVA" type sandals - and that's it. The trails you will be hiking won't be too difficult - some stones, some gravel, some dirt.

If you are relatively agile, you might want to just step into the water barefoot, and don your footwear once on dry land, saving you the trouble of taking too much luggage to the islands.

Otherwise, you might find it more comfortable with a pair of light walking shoes for the trails, and a pair of waterproof sandals for jumping into the shallow surf on a wet landing.

I'd like to emphasize that you will not be expected to climb steep scree slopes, or walk through razor sharp laval fields - so there is no need for high end specialty footwear. Keep it simple...

You'll have a wonderful time!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What shoes are best for Galapogas Island cruises?

We found on the wet landings which usually were on a sandy beach that it was more comfortable to hold your shoes (in my case Keen closed-toe sandals) than to walk/hike in wet shoes. Our guides brought towels for us to dry our feet/wipe off the sand and then it was much more comfortable walking around. I wore my Keens on the wet landing because it is easier to slip them on than to put on my hiking shoes and socks while standing on the beach. On a couple of the wet landings the guides told us flip flops were ok (mostly the beach walks) but generally people wore Keens or Tevas for the traction.

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
283 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What shoes are best for Galapogas Island cruises?

On our recent cruise, by far the majority of travellers wore water-proof/resistant walking sandals like Keens. However, they need to have protection at the toes because there is walking on rocks. On one island, we were advised to wear socks with whatever shoes they took because of fire ants.

On another island, people did have problems with gravel getting in their sandals.

I wear orthotics in my shoes so I had to take closed walking shoes. However, it was awkward and time-consuming to try to remove the sand, dry one's feet and then put on socks and shoes on a beach with no place to sit.

Once or twice, the walks were so short we just wore our water shoes.

4. Re: What shoes are best for Galapogas Island cruises?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 11:06