We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devil's crown - is this a 'must do'

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
254 reviews
150 helpful votes
Devil's crown - is this a 'must do'

Seeking comments from first hand experience please;

We're planning a cruise and Devil's Crown is rated by most guides as 'one of the best snorkelling sites'. But I note it has warnings of strong currents. Reading between the lines, it might be a place for experienced, strong swimmers?

My question is, as only a few itineraries include Devil's Crown, is this a firm site to include?

The trips we've short listed are not snorkelling every day so I want to make sure if this is a place to do that we do it.

I realise opinions are subjective but if you have been to Devil's Crown and another place were you overcome with the sheer beauty of Devil's Crown or was it just a tad better?

1 reply
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Devil's crown - is this a 'must do'

Dear UB,

there are no "must do" sites as far as I'm concerned. Every site is a "try to do it if you can" though... Devil's Crown is a unique snorkeling site. It's a semi-circular island, shallow inside, with farily steep drop offs on the outside. There are currents, but you are snorkelign with them, not against them... and the panga drivers are keeping an eye on you. No need to be an Olympian - just fairly comfortable in the water, with a mask and snorke. The waters tend to be pretty clear there, and some times you see way more things than others - that's usually the case.

Not sure if this helps at all. You're in a candy shop, and you only have so many dimes in our pocket. The choice is always difficult... ;-)

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Devil's crown - is this a 'must do'
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted