We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Quito from UK

3 posts
Flights to Quito from UK

Hi there!

Please can anyone advise me on flights to Quito from London. We have booked a cruise in April 2025. I was hoping to fly with KLM but they now have 2 transfers with one transfer in the USA adding 6-8 hours onto the flight.

Our only other option is flying with Iberia. Sadly all the reviews are really negative eg luggage going missing, booking a seat in premium economy and it getting changed to economy. Does anyone have any experience flying with Iberia from the UK?

Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Flights to Quito from UK

Dear Lucy,

in my experience, all flights are half a dozen of one, and six of the other. I've flown a number of times from Europe to Ecuador - and that's my conclusion. I would just go to Expedia, see what they suggest, and once you've identified the routing most appealing to you, book the flight directly with the airline and not through Expedia. If anything ever goes wrong, it's a lot easier (!) dealing directly with the airline.

I hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkron

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,356 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Flights to Quito from UK

Welcome

only flown with KLM/Delta and others, not so with Iberia - yet and never from LHR? to UIO.

you can try Expedia and or the other flight search engines.... like...

http://skyscanner.com

http://kayak.com

Sorry, but sometimes you need to just buckup and take what you can get.

you can also look at flights a day or 2 before your sail date too.

If you care to, you can look at other departures points. Since you live in London, Paris is a 2.5hr 1 way train ride. Then you have your puddle jumpers too like Easy Jet and others. But you can also look at maybe flying to some other major airport or look at MAN/LBA. There is also Spain/Portugal too.

Or look at getting to Brazil? then to UIO?

sorry, but in the end, only you will know what you will or are willing to accept as in costs, connections, departures/arrivals and so forth.

good luck

Edited: 10 July 2024, 08:23
3 posts
3. Re: Flights to Quito from UK

Thanks Heather, much appreciated

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
436 posts
14 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Flights to Quito from UK

Hello Lucy d,

I agree with Heather in that you should definitely book directly with the airline and not through a third party agent. Looking at KLM's website (by the way, they do codeshare with Air France, which means you will find exactly the same flights there), I actually do see flights from Heathrow to Quito for April with only one transfer in Amsterdam. You would just have to keep in mind that on the flights back to Europe, the plane that leaves from Quito will always stop in Guayaquil (the flights by KLM). This same plane will continue to Amsterdam, but it is not a nonstop flight (in other words, you will stop in Guayaquil to let other passengers board the plane). On the way from Amsterdam TO Quito, the flight will be nonstop and without the additional stop in Guayquil.

Personally I have flown with both KLM and Iberia (more often with KLM) and I would always choose KLM. First because I am one of the unlucky ones whose luggage got lost and who got stranded in Madrid and Barcelona because Iberia f*cked up connection flights. Now things like this can happen at any airline, and I had delays and lost luggage a few times already (I fly frequently for my job but also for vacation). But my personal experience was that Iberia had by far the worst and most unfriendly customer service I ever experienced. In addition, catching connection flights at Amsterdam Schiphol is more convenient in my opinion. Shorter ways, better signage and more efficient security measures. But this may be a matter of personal taste. (For instance, I just flew via Heathrow yesterday, and personally I find it very easy to catch connections there whereas others really dislike the airport. :-))

Hope this helps, happy travels!

Edited: 10 July 2024, 20:42
3 posts
5. Re: Flights to Quito from UK

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and information. It's all really helpful. I did get a quote through a third party so I am going to look at booking directly.

I have friends in Paris who live close to the airport so I shall look at those options too.

Quito, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
59 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Flights to Quito from UK

The codeshares via USA have always been an option, but KLM still has direct flights from AMS as well. I fly KLM between UIO and MAN fairly regularly, and I've never gone via USA.

KLM has gone downhill. The prices have gone up, you have to pay extra for any baggage now, and they've reconfigured the seating to squeeze extra seats in, so it's even more uncomfortable. But they are reliable, so I stick with them.

I haven't flown that route with Iberia since at least 2017, so they might have improved since then. But back then, over multiple flights over several years, they lost my bags every single time. I say lost, but they did turn up eventually, usually 3-6 months later. At one point, I had 6 suitcases lost in their system from 3 different flights. The whole situation was ridiculous. Then there were the delays and cancellations as well, so I stopped flying with them, and I've stuck with KLM ever since.

Reply to: Flights to Quito from UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted