We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling

Hi. Can anyone recommend an operator for a Punta Pitt day tour on San Cristobal? I contacted Islanders Galapagos (Galapagos Yacht Day Tours) as I saw them recommended here, but their tour is combined with Kicker Rock snorkelling, which we are not really interested in as neither of us swim.

We may already be doing an Espanola Island tour that also includes some snorkelling that we will just pass on and enjoy the scenery, but would rather not have 2 tours that we have to do that...

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,210 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling

welcome

"... but their tour is combined with Kicker Rock snorkeling, which we are not really interested in as neither of us swim...."

some background. I avoided the water after seeing JAWS back in the 70s/80s? dont swim either.

But you dont NEED to swim to snorkel.

i rented a wetsuit and after trying and getting into the water back in Sept with el-nino, it was like taking a warm bath. So, i ditched the wetsuit. It did provide some buoyancy, but i just used the life vest and floated. There were others that did the same and others that were better swimmers. No one had a gun to my head to do otherwise. and before you get on the boat, chances are, they will make you wear a vest anyway.

I had to get out of my comfort zone and take a chance. And i will tell you , i am so glad i did. Again, just used the life vest, mask and fins. I had bought a Point N Shoot underwater camera to use and was using it all the time when there.

Its up to you if you want to try snorkeling, but im hooked now.

good luck

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling

I understand, and I will probably try some snorkelling at some point.

However, my wife is very uncomfortable in the water (to the point of being actually afraid and would be very panicked), so there is no way she is going to do any snorkelling.

So my question still stands if anyone has any tours operators that can facilitate a non snorkelling Punta Pitt tour. If not, I guess we will do it anyway to be honest, but I just wanted to check my options.

Thanks.

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
429 posts
14 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling

Hello Patrick K,

as far as I know, ALL day tours by boat include at least one snorkelling activity, either directly from the boat (in deeper waters) or from one of the many beautiful beaches. But you will not be forced to snorkel - you can stay on the boat (should it start right from there) and enjoy the views or just sit on the beach while the others of your group get into the water.

When I was on San Cristobal Island, only one tour operator offered a tour that included hiking up Punta Pitt, the other tours just sailed by, you may want to check this for the tours you have in mind. Plus, depending on what you are comfortable with, some day tours by boat include fishing, which is not always explicitly mentioned. As I did not want to be on a boat with any such activity, I always explicitly asked beforehand.

And definitely do the tour to Espanola Island, it was one of my super highlights in a vacation that was actually highlights only. :-)

Hope this helps, happy travels!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling

Thanks for the advice. We might go with Galapagos Eco Challenger, as the snorkelling is at Pitt Islet rather than Kicker Rock, so as a novice I might be able to give it a go there. Kicker Rock seems like a place for good swimmers only!

Reply to: Punta Pitt tour operator - without snorkelling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted