We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Fe Snorkeling Trip Concerns

R F
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote

Had a snorkling tour to Santa Fe this week, and a couple of things didn't sit easy with me on the trip.

1. The tour guide and crew of the boat started fishing, after 20 minutes they caught a absolutly massive marlin-like fish. After killing it with a knife onboard they bought it back to Puerto Ayora. This happened on the shores of Santa fe. Nowhere in the description of the tour was fishing mentioned

2. The tour guide poured food into the water to encourage the fish, and encouraged the group to touch the fish. Again this was Santa fe.

Felt a bit strange after a week of pretty strict rules around wildlife on other tours and around the galapagos? But maybe someone who knows better can advise!

2 replies to this topic
Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
429 posts
14 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Santa Fe Snorkeling Trip Concerns

Hello R F,

I fully understand you. Luckily, the day trips I did during my amazing time on the Galapagos Islands did not include fishing, but that might be due to the fact that I explicitly asked for non fishing day tours after I had seen that actually all of the 360 tours around San Cristobal include fishing. Personally, I also find it pretty disgusting and schizophrene to emphasize how strictly the flora and fauna are protected while at the same time fish are killed just for tourist enjoyment. (I am only talking about these day tours that include fishing activities, of course this does not refer to fishermen etc.) And on top of that, encouraging people to touch wild animals should never happen - when I was there, I never experienced this, and luckily all the guides I met were great and very conscious about the paradise they were showing us.

Hope you can still enjoy the Enchanted Islands, happy travels!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: Santa Fe Snorkeling Trip Concerns

Dear RF,

thanks for reporting this experience.

The behaviour of your ship crew is totally against the park rules. Who was the naturalist guide? That person is responsible for ensuring park regulations are respected. Fishing for personal gain is not permitted on tourist ship - when fishing is part of a trip, it is catch and release.

With land based tourism skyrocketing, the park is having difficulties ensuring standards are kept. Unprofessional guides and ship's crew will turn your experience into a circus to get more tips.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Santa Fe Snorkeling Trip Concerns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted