We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise to Galapagos

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
Cruise to Galapagos

Hi

I have an opportunity to do this cruise next month. My flight into and out of Quito is at really odd hours. Arriving 2:45 AM, departing 4:00 AM. I am a solo female. Is it safe for me to travel to the Airport to arrive at those hours of the night?

Also, on the cruise, we visit: North Seymour – San Cristóbal Island, Cerro Brujo, Isla Lobos, Gardner Bay, Punta Suarez. We are cruising for 4 days on 16 passenger ship.

I am not a swimmer but will this be still good for me. I love nature, hiking etc.

thanks for your help.

11 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,206 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

welcome

disclosures..

> 62 y/o solo MALE traveler.

> didnt ahve early flights in/out on that trip.

"...I have an opportunity to do this cruise next month. My flight into and out of Quito is at really odd hours. Arriving 2:45 AM, departing 4:00 AM. I am a solo female. Is it safe for me to travel to the Airport to arrive at those hours of the night?..."

I just used a taxi. i dont remember about Uber, but if yuo are a fan you can look at the app and see whats availalbe.

or if you want, you can ask the lodging to arrange for you.

same for leaving back to the airport.

".....Also, on the cruise, we visit: North Seymour – San Cristóbal Island, Cerro Brujo, Isla Lobos, Gardner Bay, Punta Suarez. We are cruising for 4 days on 16 passenger ship.

I am not a swimmer but will this be still good for me. I love nature, hiking etc...."

im not sure what you mean by "im not a swimmer". does that mean you dont like the water or are afriad or cant swim or ?

for what its worth my fear was after seeing JAWS back in the 80s? In any case, i decided to go into the water and snorkel. And i dont regret doing so. it was an awesome experience and im hooked now. Still cant swim, but dont need to.. I dont know how to swim, but i just used a life vest and floated and used my feet/hands to maneuver. Of course i had flippers. But i didnt "swim". There were others doing the same and others swimming and diving too.

we didnt snorkel in any deep water and could see the bottom and or snorkeled near the beach/shore.

there are critters under the water and if you miss thats up to you.

and last point, you can pick and choose what you wanted to do too. If you didnt want to do any hiking you didnt have to. Same with snorkeling. you could spend all your time on the ship.

good luck

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

Thanks for your response. No, I cannot really swim. Not afraid of the water though, so can snorkel with life vest as you said. I love hiking, so will definitely do that

I just see news about the safety and travelling to the airport in the night. Afraid of that.

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
194 reviews
103 helpful votes
3. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

I'm reading your post as your flight arrives in Quito at 2:45am and your next flight departs 4:00am (a little over an hour later?). If so, you'll be behind security the whole time and should be fine regardless. That really is not much of a layover, so you won't be sitting around too long regardless. If I've misread this, please let me know.

If you are comfortable snorkeling in a flotation vest, you'll do great. We had several people on our cruise do the same and all of them were comfortable out of the vest by the end of the cruise.

My recommendation would be to go to a dive shop and have them fit you with your own mask. You'll be more comfortable in the water when you're not worried about your mask leaking. It won't take up much room in your luggage.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

No, sorry that’s not it

My flight arrival is at 3Am.

When I am leaving Quito one week later, my flight is at 4Am. So, both my arrival and departure flights are at odd hours. Just concerned if it is safe at those hours for solo Female in a taxi to and from the hotel.

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
429 posts
14 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

Hello sonagulab,

going to and from the airport in an (official!) taxi is very safe and no problem at all. What you could do is ask your hotel if they offer their own shuttle (mine did when I was in Quito). In this case you would be welcomed directly after leaving the baggage claim area with a sign with your name. In my case, the rate was pretty much the same as it would have been for a regular taxi. But if your hotel does not offer such services, an official taxi is absolutely fine.

Hope this helps, happy travels!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

Thank you. The hotel does not have a shuttle. I just don’t know how I feel about taking a taxi at those hours as a solo female.

I have travelled a lot but I will not be found outside at those hours. Just can’t seem to get my head around those hours.

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
194 reviews
103 helpful votes
7. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

They are indeed weird hours, but I found that several of our South American flights were similar. Who knows why??

I agree that you should be fine by yourself if you go directly in/out of the airport. There was security at the doors. Word on the forum has always been that official taxis are safe.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
8,432 posts
282 reviews
2,231 helpful votes
8. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

You have another thread on the same topic; I responded there. You didn’t mention you already have a hotel booked. I would cancel that reservation and just book a hotel near the airport since this is causing you so much anxiety.

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
194 reviews
103 helpful votes
9. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

I'm not sure you want to stay out by the hotel for a week. it's a good drive from the city. It might make sense to spend the last night there.

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
429 posts
14 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: Cruise to Galapagos

Hello sonagulab,

just to be sure about the arrival - your flight will land in Quito at 3 a:m, then you will spend a day in Quito and then continue to the Galapagos Islands a full day later? Or will the connection flight to the Galapagos Islands be a few hours later already? In the latter case, you might as well just stay inside the airport. I did so during my flight to the Galapagos when I transferred in Guayaquil (my flight arrived at 2 a:m and the flight to Baltra left at 9 a:m). If you stay longer and want to relax and sleep in your hotel (which is fully understandable), do not worry about the taxi, really. It is not as if armed robbery against taxis is happening in Quito on a regular basis (personally I never heard of something like this). It would be unsafe to walk through the streets alone at night, but taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel entrance is no problem at all. Just make sure it is an official taxi and make sure the hotel reception is staffed 24/7 - to let you in upon arrival and to call you a taxi for your ride back to the airport.

By the way, I am female and I was in Quito on my own - during the day, I felt absolutely safe exploring the beautiful old town on my own.

Hope this helps, happy travels!

Reply to: Cruise to Galapagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted