We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

Berkeley, California
7 posts
Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

My husband and I were planning on going to Ecuador this summer and we thought about going to the Galapagos islands too... On a cruise ship !

How is it to cruise over there ? Is it safe ?

Thanks,

Jaqueline

19 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,210 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

welcome

im not sure what you think of cruise or what you want.

but you will want to do your due diligence on this and see whats offered.

i did an 8 day cruise to most of the western islands and there were daily hikes/snorkels. Again, not sure what you expect or want. But thats what i wanted and received.

again, im not sure what you expect or fear? My fear was going into the water after seeing JAWS back in 1975. But i decided to try snorkeling my 1st time there and loved it. agian, not sure what fears you have.

good luck

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
15,434 posts
126 reviews
137 helpful votes
2. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

When you say "cruise ship," what are you envisioning? The naturalist cruises in Galapagos range from about 12-100 passengers, and they embark from one of the islands. You would have to fly to Quito or Guayaquil, then to the Galapagos Islands to board the boat.

Edited: 25 April 2024, 19:07
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

Dear Jaqueline,

a cruise in Galapagos is quite an active thing. It's about getting exposed to what Galapagos is world famous for, both above and below the sea. While you could of course just sit back and enjoy the show from deck, typically, you are out there, going on hikes (always quite slow paced, because it's about nature observation) and snorkeling (underwater Galapagos is a big part of the wonder). Every year, about 72,000 people embark on such an expedition cruise. The average age of these people is 50's to early 70's, but plenty of younger folks and older as well.

Be sure you know what you're getting into - and if that's your thing, you will have a trip of a lifetime.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Berkeley, California
7 posts
4. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

Oh no, i was just wandering because of what happened in Ecuador recently...

Berkeley, California
7 posts
5. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

I was asking as I wasn't sure about the safety... I know that what we see on TV or read on the web is often "too much" much just wanted to read something from people who actually went there recently...

Berkeley, California
7 posts
6. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

Hi Heather and thanks a lot for your reply. So it was great and safe right ? Thanks so much for your answer.

Berkeley, California
7 posts
7. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

By Cruise I meant: "are they like other ships, that is huge or smaller ? How sage was it on the boat, in the sea and on land ?"

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

Dear Jacqueline,

I've had over 160 guests travel to Ecuador (on the mainland and in Galapagos) since early January, including myself and a group of friends. My neighbours are currently in Galapagos. We have not had any issues whatsoever - all have returned and none has reported any concerns over safety. You don't need to be worried about that.

Ships in Galapagos range in size from 14 to 100 passengers - there are about 65 ships in total. The vast majority (maybe 50 of them) carry 20 or fewer passengers. Every few years there is an incident - a ship may run aground for example. But that is very rare and there haven't been any passenger injuries from such events that I recall for many years - maybe 10 years or more...

I hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,210 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

welcome back..

"...By Cruise I meant: "are they like other ships, that is huge or smaller ? How sage was it on the boat, in the sea and on land ?"..."

i would get a travel book on Ecuador/Galapagos and review the relevant sections. I statred off my solo travels back in 2012 by reading books and still do. Same for the Galapagos.

here is just 1 website mentioned from the book...

https://happygringo.com/

but if you decide to use a cruise you will eventually have to do more research into that and that will answer your questions.

im not sure what you are accustomed to if you cruised before. you dont say either. words like huge/small is relative. Ive sailed on sailboats from 20 foot to 35 feet. Ive worked on several ships 4x+ the size of the cruise ship i was on. So thats where im coming from.

if you do get or use a travel book or eventually this will come out, its said to use a smaller ship about 16 people/8 cabins or less. That way you can get onto the islands faster and have more time there.

safe is also relative. Have you ever been on a boat/ship? They can be just as dangerous or more so than being on land. There is water all around you and if the decks get wet you can easily slip and fall. Depending on the ocean conditions the swells can make things not so safe too just walking/moving about. Ive been on larger ships where the seas were so rough, i almost got thrown out of my bunk.

then moving from teh ship <> dingy can be rough too. But again, it will depend on the seas.

good luck.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
276 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024

We just returned. Cruised for a week. Felt safe entire time. Plenty of security around in Guayaquil. Everyone seems to be living normally.

Find the cruise that suits you. We did Lindblad and loved. Lots of great options.

Reply to: Cruising in the Galapagos in 2024
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted