We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Espaniola island - status

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
Espaniola island - status

Hello, we will be in Galapagos early August. Does anyone know the status of Espaniola island closure? Any planned date for reopening?

13 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
75 reviews
136 helpful votes
1. Re: Espaniola island - status

I’ve been watching it closely because we are hoping to go for a day trip when we arrive in mid June. It is currently closed. The latest I heard is that they will next reassess it in June. They didn’t say when in June. My understanding is that The avian flu has significantly improved, but they want to give the birds time to rebuild their populations on Española as it is one of the most critical islands for breeding/nesting.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
75 reviews
136 helpful votes
2. Re: Espaniola island - status

Galapagos yacht day tours, who run the Valeria yacht, just posted an announcement from the national park that Espanola and Genovesa will open as of May 11!

Illinois
Level Contributor
120 posts
95 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: Espaniola island - status

Wonderful news! And just in time for both of your trips, Have an AMAZING time.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
73 posts
75 reviews
136 helpful votes
4. Re: Espaniola island - status

Thanks Nicki!

Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Espaniola island - status

I’m in San Christobal right now, and after having read your post about May 11, I went out to the nearest tour operator and asked about Española island. They said it’s closed, and no one is doing tours there! Now I don’t know what to believe…

Illinois
Level Contributor
120 posts
95 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: Espaniola island - status

Check with Islanders Galapagos.

WhatsApp: +593 98 631 0202

Their offices are at Manuel Agama y Jose Yepez (between Casa de Nelly and The Pier restaurant).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Espaniola island - status

Indeed, I see the announcement about reopening on the Galapagos Yacht Day Tour Face Book page. I sent them an email since we already booked Kicker Rock with them and they penciled us dow for Espaniola! Keep my fingers crossed.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Espaniola island - status

Just got confirmation email from Islanders Galapagos that Espaniola is opened! Booking the tour for August and super excited!

Illinois
Level Contributor
120 posts
95 reviews
38 helpful votes
9. Re: Espaniola island - status

Wonderful! Have a spectacular trip—and please blow a kiss at a waved albatross for me since I didn't get to meet them last fall.

Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Espaniola island - status

Do they have more than one page? I don’t see any post about Española, and actually no recent posts at all.

Reply to: Espaniola island - status
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted