We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Trip to Galapagos

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Booked Trip to Galapagos

so.. literally last night we confirmed our trip to the Galapagos on a 6N cruise. Moments later Ecuador declared a state of emergency... just our luck, lol. The travel advisory is for mainland AND Galapagos.... :/

We will be flying from Cusco into Ecuador, staying one night then flying tot he islands, staying a night on San Cristobal then embarking on our cruise. At this point... wondering how we all think it will be there, considering we will be spending minimal time on the mainland. Our cruise is in May, so I'm hopeful there is lots of time for things to settle before we head there...

11 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

Dear Laurel,

of course, keep an eye on the situation. Here's the Canadian government advisory that came out yesterday, for example:

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/ecuador?fbclid=IwAR2pb55h6WIk6iGeTjrl6AzgkJiK_tD1teY7PDV9Dd-P8TLzHYfC4xcznPU

It doesn't say "Avoid travel to Ecuador" - but rather something along the lines of "keep your wits about you" as one should no matter where you are, where you travel to. And May is a very very long way off when it comes to such things. If you were in the country these very days (no reports of any issues in Galapagos), you might be hard pressed to understand what all the fuss was about. Headline grabbing events are very localized and short lived. In my experience, following Ecuador for 25 years, these kinds of things happen from time to time (the last state of emergency declaration was about 4-5 months ago...), and typically, within a few days, a week at the most, things get pretty much back to normal. But that's not to say this will be the same - no one can say anything for sure. I'm just saying that I wouldn't worry about it too much - while keeping an eye on things.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

We were supposed to leave TOMORROW to fly to Quito. My bags are literally packed. We were to spend 2 nights in Quito then fly to Galapagos Saturday to get on ship. I was contacted by the cruise line last night (Silversea) and advised to NOT proceed to Ecuador. The return flight was via Guayaquil. They are supposed to advise me today further, but I strongly suspect the cruise will be cancelled and the reports from there sound bad, with dusk to dawn curfews and military patrols in the streets. Guayaquil sounds best avoided completely and Quito not too sure. And dusk to dawn there is 12 hours no matter which time of year. I'm kinda hoping they will cancel and give us a credit. Hard to predict what will be the case in 5 months. Sounds chaotic and the video footage from the Ecuadorean TV station was terrible to watch.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
21 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

To be clear, curfew is from 11PM to 5PM, and travel to and from airports is OK. Flights to Galapagos happening normally.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

What was the outcome?

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
157 reviews
138 helpful votes
5. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

It's premature for the cruise lines to cancel cruises.

Galapagos is in total state of peace.

The war on drug cartels is being focus at specifical areas such as:

Esmeraldas

Santo Domingo

Manabi

Guayas (Guayaquil)

Los Rios (Quevedo)

El Oro (Machala)

Galapagos province has not trouble at all regarding terrorism attacks or anything similar.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

I want To go to the Galapagos in august with a friend. Does someone have a great place to schedule the trip.

It’s very costly. Does someone have a place that have prices that are not cray high?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
15,434 posts
126 reviews
137 helpful votes
7. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

Susan, we can't guess what might seem high to you, but you can check prices here https://www.galapagoscruiselinks.com/ Note that this is only a fraction of boats that are operating in the Galapagos.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,210 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

@Susan,

"...I want To go to the Galapagos in august with a friend. Does someone have a great place to schedule the trip.

It’s very costly. Does someone have a place that have prices that are not cray high?..."

you can do most or alot of work yourself, if you want.

there are travel books on the subject and they cover alot. How to get there, where you can land, visit and recommendations on where to stay, tours and other things.

I do my on 1 month trips from start to finish. Ive been doing so since 2012 where i picked up a travel book on Eruope and then stated research and planning. I used a spreadsheet, opened up several web browser pages and started researching , flights, to/from, and lodging.

Once you are there, thats 1/2 the battle. The rest is in the details.

I found out over several trips that #1 cost is ALL Transportation. ALL international flights and local puddle jumpers and any > 50 USD.

then the 2nd cost was lodging. I shoot for < 100 USD/per night. Its just MY number i came up with.

then the 3d is attractions. Musuems and such are small potatoes. But if you do a tour/cruise, it may not be cheap, and thats what it will be in the Galapagos. If you do some landbased tour, (i didnt do), it could be cheaper. If its not "crazy expensive", i really dont know. To me, thats like asking how blue is blue.

But if you do your own work on this you can get an idea on how much you may end up spending.

Another way you can look at this is to go find a local travel agent. They will want some $$ for doing the work for you too. but you can ask them if the cheapest tour down there. if that number isnt "crazy expensive" then ask more questions.

good luck

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,210 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

here is a hint for you take or leave...

1. figure out how much it will cost you just to get to the Galapagos islands. where/how, what airline is up to you. If you can live with the price you get, then move onto #2. If just the price of flying there isnt acceptable to you, then no need to do anymore work/research.

2. Look at any lodging where you are going to visit. here are 2 lodging search engines. Input whatever location you want, and the dates, and then whatever budget/range you think you can afford or want to spend. The press SEARCH. from there look at any available properties that are available using your search criteria. If there isnt any, you may need to bump up your budget/range. how much is up to you and only you will know this number. If you dont find anything, then you will have to decide if you can afford the Galapagos at this time. From there you can see how much $$ you have left and if you want to proceed.

http://www.booking.com

http://www.hotels.com

I did a ship based cruise and chose 8 days. there are more and less day cruises and price will vary with size of ship and so forth. I didnt do any land based trips, but there were several people that have and have done a trip report. If you want, use the SEARCH feature to find them and or ask how much if you want.

good luck

Edited: 04 May 2024, 10:05
Elk Grove Village...
Level Contributor
9 posts
170 reviews
148 helpful votes
10. Re: Booked Trip to Galapagos

Did you end up going on your trip? We are supposed to travel to Guayaquil and then onto the Galapagos in June.

Reply to: Booked Trip to Galapagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted