We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
441 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Save

Hello,

We booked a cruise on the Legend for 4 nights in June 2023. We were thinking of adding 2 nights in Puerto Aroya before the cruise. Do you think it's worth the hassle getting to that side of the island for 2 nights? We can't add it after due to time restraints and only have 2 nights available.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Lisa

5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
233 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Save

It's probably worth it, but it would be helpful to know which Legend itinerary you are doing.

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
441 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Save

Hello,

We're doing the 4 night Western itinerary.

From my understanding, if arrive 2 nights before, we'll have to make our own way back to the airport on the day of the cruise in order to meet with the guide there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
233 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Save

I did a similar Western itinerary on the Legend's smaller sister ship, the Coral I. (It was wonderful!). My family had more time before our cruise, so we spent a few nights on San Cristobal and one night in Puerto Ayora before our cruise. I realize that you will not have time to do all of that. Personally, I still think it would be worth it for you to spend the 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before your cruise, despite the relatively minor hassle of going back and forth to Baltra. You could use your full day to visit the Darwin Research Center and walk around the town, which is interesting. I noticed on our similar 4-night cruise that the folks who simply flew in and out for the cruise, with no extra time, did not get to see town or the research center, and that felt like an omission to me.

Lowell, Indiana
Level Contributor
441 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Save

Thank you so much for the info!!

Currently, with the trip, they added in the transit cards and assistance at the airport in either Guay or Quito, but from what I'm reading, it doesn't seem too difficult to do this on our own correct? Also, did you just meet back at the airport, at an designated time, to get on the ship ? We're all the transfers between Puerto Ayora and the airport difficult or pretty simple? We travel quite a bit and always book things independent, so aren't nervous about this sort of thing, just wanting to see if it's with the hassle ( we have very well traveled 16 and 9 yo coming with).

Boston...
Level Contributor
233 posts
38 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Save

My family's trip was in 2019, so you'd best confirm all the details about transit cards, etc., with whoever booked the trip for you (the ship or a travel agent) since my experience was a few years ago and pre-covid, etc. As for getting between Puerto Ayora and the airport on Baltra (where we were picked up for our cruise departure), it wasn't too difficult, although it sounded a bit intimidating. The hotel where we were staying arranged a cab for us for the morning of our cruise. We allowed more time than what they recommended, just because I am "that way" and like to have additional time buffers, just in case. The cab drove us to the Itabaca Channel, where we took the very short ferry ride across to Baltra, and then there was a shuttle to the airport. My recollection is that it was all pretty organized, and we definitely ended up at the airport in PLENTY of time before the other cruise passengers arrived from their incoming flight and we got picked up by the cruise ship staff and taken to the dock. I do recall there was something that confused us about paying for the canal ferry--maybe it had to be in cash? Maybe the amount seemed wrong to us? I'm not sure. It wasn't a big disaster or anything--just something confusing. But you may want to have your travel planner update you on all those details so you have it straight. We had our then-9 and 11 year olds with us, and managed without too much trouble! Again, confirm all these details with your travel agent or the ship since my info is old, but this was my experience for what it is worth.

Reply to: 2 nights in Puerto Ayora before 5 day Legend cruise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted