We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for overnight in Baltra/ Santa Cruz before cruise

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
30 helpful votes
Ideas for overnight in Baltra/ Santa Cruz before cruise
Save

Family and I (2 adults, 2 kids aged 15 and 8) are planning a Galapagos cruise with Celebrity in June 2023. We booked our cruise through Costco, and have booked the flights on our own. Our itinerary has us arriving in Baltra Island around 1 pm on the day before the cruise. This gives us a little over 24 hours in Santa Cruz. Looking for recommendations regarding best places to stay, places to see during this 24 hour period etc Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
142 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Ideas for overnight in Baltra/ Santa Cruz before cruise
Save

You should visit Twin Craters, the Tortoise ranch, and lava tunnels on the way from the airport to Puerto Ayora.

In the next morning you should visit Charles Darwin Station (of your cruise doesn't include that) plus Tortuga Bay.

A good hotel to stay will be Verde Azul.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Ideas for overnight in Baltra/ Santa Cruz before cruise
Save

Dear Aya,

If your flight arrives at 1PM in Baltra, it will be closer to 3PM by the time you arrive in Puerto Ayora (you can't stay on Baltra - that's just the airport island). You'll only have a few hours of daylight remaining after you check in and settle down (it gets dark by 6:30PM).

While that will give you just the right amount of time to visit the Darwin Station (where I worked for a few years), be sure to check with COSTCO on the detailed itinerary of your cruise they booked you on - the Darwin Station (and the Twin Craters) are typically part of an itinerary for ships.

If the Station is already on your itinerary, I suggest that you just explore the town, the waterfront, the fisherman's market. There's enough there to keep things interesting.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: Ideas for overnight in Baltra/ Santa Cruz before cruise
Save

I personally would just relax. You can walk up to the Charles Darwin tortoise place which is five minute walk in town. Just walk around the town have dinner. I would relax as you will have just flown all that way. There are lots of good restaurants in Santa Cruz. I stayed at the hotel fiesta for one night which was fine if you want luxury stay at the Agua Mier

Reply to: Ideas for overnight in Baltra/ Santa Cruz before cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted