We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Travel

J K
New York
Level Contributor
186 posts
114 reviews
99 helpful votes
November Travel
Save

Hello, My husband and I are considering visiting Galapagos Island in mid-November. We would be flying into GYE and then out to the islands. On the islands, the plan is to split our time between Santa Cruz and San Cristobal island. My idea is to fly into one island spend 3-4 days then take the ferry to the other island and spend 3-4 days there then fly back home. If we do to that, what island would be better to start with? I have really bad motion sickness even when taking prescription medication. I am not sure how the ferry would be and i feel flying into one island, ferry to other island and flying out would be best, but i'm also willing to do what makes the most sense and more economical option. If it is cheaper to do a round trip from either airport (balta or St Cristobal) i would consider. This is going to be more of a DIY adventure. I plan on booking the hotels, and airfares on my own. As far as tours/excursions i was considering booking when I arrive. We also are planning on bringing our own snorkel gear and i also speak spanish fluently. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 replies to this topic
Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
142 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: November Travel
Save

JK,

November seas are rough in the islands for ferry navigation, probabby the best for you will be to fly in between islands in order to avoid the motion sickness.

In this way the best itinerary could start in San Cristobal from where you can hit Kicker Rock, Punta Pitt and Española island. In Kicker Rock you can see three types of sharks in one snorkeling session amongst other species, in Punta Pitt you can watch red and blue footed boobies and at Española you can see the most species of birds form the archipelago including Galapagos hawk amongst finches, lava gulls, blue footed boobies and others. Snorkeling here is quite special, there are good opportunities to look for rays, mobulas, reef sharks amongst beautiful tropical colorful small fish like parrot fish.

From San Cristobal you can fly to Isabela and from there you can visit Tintoreras Islet on kayaks in order to see penguins and reef sharks. Another highlight is Tuneles where you could spott seahorses amongst other wildlife. If you are a hiker you could hit Sierra Negra volcano where you can watch one of the widest active Craters in the planet (10 kilometers of width) plus at volcan Chico you can look for small Lava tubes ans fumaroles. On the way back from the 26 km trek you can stop at Flamingoes Lagoon in order to watch these amazing birds.

To be able to see these you should allow three days at Isabela.

After this you can fly to Baltra island and cross the Itabaca channel by ferry to reach Santa Cruz island, in here on the way you can hit Twin Craters, then Rancho El Chato or Primicias so you can watch the famous Galapagos giant turtles and later visit the Lava Tubes, after this you can go down to Puerto Ayora and rest.

On the next day you can visit Las Grietas, Tortuga Bay and the Charles Darwin Station. After this you can go by taxi to Baltra Airport and fly out in order to reach Quito or Guayaquil airports to take a good night of rest prior to fly back to your home country.

IMO you should book all the excursions in advance in order to guarantee spaces and save time once you are in the islands.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Guanguiltagua Expeditions

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: November Travel
Save

Dear JK -

with not that much time in the islands to spare - consider booking your activities before hand. The risk is that you spend more time looking for activities to book while there, instead of actually enjoying them (and risk having them be sold out).

Be aware that most activities will involve travel in small boats to other islands, spending up to several hours on the water each day.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: November Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted