We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?

Burlington...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

Hello,

I'm interested in bringing the family to Ecuador and Galapagos next March.

I am vaccinated but the kids are not. I understand under current guidelines we would need to test before entering Ecuador but am wondering if another test is required when flying from Quito to Baltra. We were thinking of staying near Quito for a couple days and wondering if that would mean the kids would need to be tested again during the trip.

Thanks,

Mike

11 replies to this topic
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
240 posts
683 reviews
386 helpful votes
1. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

The airline would not even let us leave the US without checking all our vaccine cards including kids

Burlington...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

PCR test is an alternative to vaccination from what I've read. I'm just wondering if testing is required going from Quito to Baltra. With other countries, testing is only required to enter the country and not when flying between airports within the same country.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

Dear Mike,

Galapagos, being a small island community, is treated a bit differently than the rest of the country.

all travelers to both continental Ecuador and Galapagos must be EITHER fully vaccinated (2 dose + 2 weeks since final vaccine), OR must present proof of negative results of an RT-PCR OR antigen test issued within 72 hours of boarding your flight to Ecuador, and also Galapagos. For more advice on traveling to Ecuador and Galapagos during COVID times, see: https://www.cnhtours.com/covid19/

Of course, these requirements may change again before your trip - so keep updated on them until the very last moment (typically, the government gives little notice of upcoming changes). The latest change was on 16 July when it added a negative antigen test as an acceptable proof for entry (cheaper and faster than the PCR test).

Don't forget to check on the re-entry requirements for the USA as well.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Uberlingen, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

What happen if had my second boost (4th shots) 10

days before the flight?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

Dear Math,

as requirements are for just a "full vaccination" with no mention of booster shots, you will be just fine.

Warmest regards,

Heather

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

@Heather,

CNH is a private party site - do you have a government link for the requirements?

Thanks,

Vicki

Uberlingen, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

https://www.cancilleria.gob.ec/2020/06/18/emergencia-sanitaria/

https://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-ecu-2/

https://www.aeropuertoquito.aero/es/protocolo-covid-19.html

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
19 reviews
21 helpful votes
8. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

The first of Math's three links (thank you Math!) is from Ecuador's foreign affairs, but in Spanish only. The 2nd of the links is a US site, in English. It reflects what the Ecuadorian foreign affairs site says.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Wei
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

@Heather,

I will travel to Ecuador in 3 days, I had two doses of Pfizer vaccination last year (2021), do I meet Ecuador's vaccination requirements ?

One more question: according to Ecuador's policy, you can provide proof of negative results of an RT-PCR OR antigen test issued within 72 hours of boarding your flight to Ecuador. I wonder whether home testing kits (antigen) result is acceptable, how do you show the "proof" of a home antigen testing result ?

Thank you so much

Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Save

You actually do not need to test. You need to have been vaccinated and go onto the CDC and get a QR code to show all your vaccinations. It’s pretty simple to do also you need to buy insurance apparently there’s a link for that no one ever asked before proof of that insurance so I’m not sure why I purchased it. Make sure you bring lots of cash because you’re gonna have to pay $100 in cash to get in at the airport plus another $20 before you even enter. All cash. Also many restaurants only take cash. Tours are on every corner and it’s best to pay them cash. It’s about $100 less booking it there than online. The water taxis from Ireland to Ireland are cash. And a little taxis are cash. Lots of fun I love San Cristobal Island and Santa Cruz. Isabella is very very quiet not much going on

Reply to: Testing requirement Quito to Baltra?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted